2 HK divers die in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I wonder which half was empty? (i.e. did they get proper fills and was the isolator open?) It would be interesting to hear from the survivor. Travelem, can you provide a link to the newspaper articles.

In the end always a bummer to hear about deaths.

If memory serves me, Tom Noguchi, then LA Coronor, told me that to actually determine that an air embolism was involved in a death you had to open the cranium while it was held underwater in a tank. Somehow I doubt that was done.

If memory serves me, Tom Noguchi, then LA Coronor, told me that to actually determine that an air embolism was involved in a death you had to open the cranium while it was held underwater in a tank. Somehow I doubt that was done.

To do a proper diving autopsy certain procedures have to be followed, and as these are exceedingly rarely done, by probability a routine autopsy will be far from conclusive in a scuba diving accident.

I am not a pathologist, but you generally don't need to open the cranium under water, since the bubbles are trapped in the blood vessels, and can be seen visibly during routine autopsy. What needs care is opening the chest cavity, and that at least is done by filling the cavity with water, after doing all the routine exams since the water could contaminate the results, to insure this is the last step.

This accident deserves close follow up because a buddy team fatality is uncommon.

Hmm, I wonder which half was empty? (i.e. did they get proper fills and was the isolator open?) It would be interesting to hear from the survivor. Travelem, can you provide a link to the newspaper articles.

In the end always a bummer to hear about deaths.

The news articles are Chinese.

Interesting reading on that topic:

Title: The Pathologist's Approach to SCUBA Diving Deaths
Author: Caruso, JL

Rubicon Research Repository: Item 123456789/3933

From that link, clicking on "View" Handout pdf:

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/3933/1/ASCP4057_Handout.pdf

Thanks to Rubicon Foundation!

Rubicon Research Repository: Home

Dave C

I'd like to suggest another possibility. Rather than forgetting to check air during their dive, wasn't it also possible for equipment failure to contribute / compound the issue?

Most dive incidents transform to accidents with a combination of problems.

I read from first post that they immediately did a deep dive on arrival, implying that a check out dive for equipment was not done.

But two dead, one injured and gas still in the cylinders?

I'd like to suggest another possibility. Rather than forgetting to check air during their dive, wasn't it also possible for equipment failure to contribute / compound the issue?

Most dive incidents transform to accidents with a combination of problems.

I read from first post that they immediately did a deep dive on arrival, implying that a check out dive for equipment was not done.

Jan, Vlad, experinced, tech certed probably felt no need for guide. Instructor that was there could have been for other divers - 6 in group.

Gombassa, to dive immediately to 40 meters would cause narcosis, so not looking at guages would not be out of the question.

No info on other diver that had a problem so could be totally unrelated.

Thalasamania, while diving in Cebu I was told stories by shop workers that shops offer boat dives at unbelieveable prices to attract divers but give only half tank fills on said dives...

Sad story to hear, but as with most dive accidents the actual causes are rarely publicized. Usually about the only time the facts are heard is when a surviving buddy explains the accident. Which is really too bad as accident analysis can be a very helpful tool in preventing a recurrence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom