2 HK divers die in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds to me like the cop shop is covering some local's ass.

What are the odds of three experienced divers running out of air on the same dive, two dying and being injured? Pretty slim, I'd guess.

There is not nearly enough information here to draw any conclusions.

There definitely is not enough to draw conclusions. But there's more than enough to validate reasoned skepticism and investigation.

HK newspaper said autopsy shows that they died of gas embolism.

I've heard that embolisms are often found in autopsies, simply because the act of bringing an unconscious (or dead) diver with a closed airway to the surface will result in an embolism, even if it has nothing to do with the real cause of death. In this case, the report says the divers were found immediately, unconscious, at the site of their dive, and they were immediately brought to the surface. That suggests it's possible that the embolism was introduced on the rescue/recovery, whereas they were already unconscious/dead at the bottom beforehand.

Last edited:
I've heard that embolisms are often found in autopsies, simply because the act of bringing an unconscious (or dead) diver with a closed airway to the surface will result in an autopsy, even if it has nothing to do with the real cause of death. In this case, the report says the divers were found immediately, unconscious, at the site of their dive, and they were immediately brought to the surface. That suggests it's possible that the embolism was introduced on the rescue/recovery, whereas they were already unconscious/dead at the bottom beforehand.

I agree with you. The HK newspapers also pointed out nitrogen narcosis was probably the reason.

Seems to me that it would be simple enough to see if there was enough gas in the tanks. If they were empty that could be the cause but if not I would have the gas analyzed. And I would like to know the nature of the surviving diver's problems. This case needs to be investigated by an experienced investigator trained in scuba diving incidents.

I'm somewhat skeptical of their certification levels. I'm guessing that they are Advanced + Nitrox certified at best despite what the newspaper said.

An Advanced+Nitrox diver forgetting to check their SPG is completely reasonable in my mind.

Even if they are certified beyond Advanced, I would bet that this is a case of divers going on a dive that is beyond their skill level. I may be wrong and the newspaper may be right though.

HK newspaper said they were carrying twin tanks and doing tec dive. The tanks were only half empty when they were discovered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom