Can't get away from a feet down position at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello scubamountaingirl,

this is exactly what i have been working on for three months. its not easy. once you get it i am sure its an ah ha moment. but till then its hit and miss and hell. what kind of what are you offering? time in a pool? with an instructor? i am interested. please let me know. wendy

Hi Wendy!

We run these programs all year long, we combo the pool with classroom and OW Dives. But for this Winter we are going to kick off a 2 Day Workshop (Classroom theory, Gear Config, Pool Diving, video, video review, more theory, more pool diving etc..) 3 Divers Max $250pp

We are organizing classes now for Jan. Call me for info (908) 359-1250

We would love the opportunity to work with you and improve your skills.

Cheers

Hello scubamountaingirl,

Hi Wendy!

We run these programs all year long, we combo the pool with classroom and OW Dives. But for this Winter we are going to kick off a 2 Day Workshop (Classroom theory, Gear Config, Pool Diving, video, video review, more theory, more pool diving etc..) 3 Divers Max $250pp

We are organizing classes now for Jan. Call me for info (908) 359-1250

We would love the opportunity to work with you and improve your skills.

Cheers
will call tomorrow....thanks. w

Very interesting, Jon. I have the same problem as cmfd404. I too am a runner and have not figured out the problem. I have wondered, though, whether or not my lower body (legs) were heavier due to denser muscles or something...

I am 6'1' and 170 lbs. I use 8 lbs of weight with a full 7/5 wetsuit and a steel 120. I don't think that I am overweighted.

I put 2 of those 8 lbs in the upper weight bag. I've also tried moving the tank up in the strap, but it didn't work.

I have just accepted it but am keeping my options open for learning how to fix it. Thanks for your thoughts!

2)If you are trying to stay horizontal, you cant allow your body to totally relax, you have to focus on keeping your arms out in front of you (just about stretched out all the way), you need to lift your head as if your looking up, you need to have a slight arch to your back and keep your knees bent with you fins parallel to your torso.

This is about the best advice in this thread - to the OP, don't look for an equipment soloution to a problem unless the equipment IS the problem. You may be overweighted - best thing to do is to do a proper buoyancy check at the end of a dive with a near empty tank.

Adding my spin on it - don't try and arch your back, this *hurts* and is unnatural. Firstly, bend you knees up - this in itself will change your position because moving the weight of your fins closer to the centre of gravity and make you more horizontal. Next, imagine you have a walnut placed between your butt checks - try and crack it be squeezing your butt together. Finally, extend your neck forwards and upwards, which creates a natural arch in your spine.

Ok. LOL. Ok. I understood most of this except the part about the walnut up my butt. Please tell me how a walnut up my butt is going to shift my weight forward!!!

This is really cracking me up (double pun there).

Ok. LOL. Ok. I understood most of this except the part about the walnut up my butt. Please tell me how a walnut up my butt is going to shift my weight forward!!!

This is really cracking me up (double pun there).

It tightens up the muscles in the lower back and quads in such a way that you both get a natural arch to your spine, whilst similtaneously pulling your feet into the right position.

You don't actually need to put the walnut there, so don't get any ideas!!! :wink:

It tightens up the muscles in the lower back and quads in such a way that you both get a natural arch to your spine, whilst similtaneously pulling your feet into the right position.

You don't actually need to put the walnut there, so don't get any ideas!!! :wink:

And here I was hoping for an after dive walnut snack :wink:

Edit: Note: Self cracked snack

Along with moving the tank higher you could maybe use a 2# ankle weight around the neck of the tank. That's about as high as you can get any weight.

This is very good advice and makes a lot more sense than trying to shift the tank around and have it banging your head.

And here I was hoping for an after dive walnut snack :wink:

Edit: Note: Self cracked snack

Mmmmm!
walnut_brownie_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom