Waterproof glove for hand with stitches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lennybenz

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be going to Wakatobi, leaving on Thursday with a short stay in Bali ahead of time. Unfortunately, I cut my hand and required stitches a week ago. Does anyone know of a waterproof glove, or a way of taping one on to keep my hand dry? I'm going to use New Skin at the suggestion of my Dr., but would also like to cover the hand completely.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm a nurse and have used a product called Tegaderm. It does a good job on flat surfaces but I'm not sure how it would do on your hand. Unfortunately, it is not available in pharmacies. I think it would work well over new skin. Call your doctor and see if he has any.

How long are you planning on keeping the stitches? I had 6 in the web of of my left hand. After 7 days I took them out myelf.

Unfortunately, they are in the web between my middle and ring finger and go from the knuckle to the callouses on the palm. Kind of deep, so the wound hasn't closed yet. I have one more visit to dr before i go, but will remove them on the trip.

I'll be going to Wakatobi, leaving on Thursday with a short stay in Bali ahead of time. Unfortunately, I cut my hand and required stitches a week ago. Does anyone know of a waterproof glove, or a way of taping one on to keep my hand dry? I'm going to use New Skin at the suggestion of my Dr., but would also like to cover the hand completely.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sounds like you will be at least 10 days out from the stitches being put in (depending on the definition of 'short'). When are you scheduled to have them removed? Although the nature of the injury may dictate otherwise, of course, the usual time to removal is ~14 days. It would seem that you might be able to have them removed locally, when you arrive, so it becomes a non-issue. I think you will have trouble finding a truly waterproof glove, and a locally applied covering, with a ordinary scuba glove on top, should offer protection. You could also do what most patients do after hand surgery, in order to shower. Use a small plastic bag, and wrap it over your hand and tape it snugly around your wrist. Not guaranteed not to leak, considering pressure changes, but may avoid total immersion.

I'll see the doc the day before I leave, the stitches would have been in 11 days. He mentioned taking them out myself. I've been doing the plastic bag thing and will probablu try taping a glove on for diving, maybe a couple of layers, but like you said, with the pressure...Thanks for the suggestion, I'm also going to ask the dr about the Tegaderm that Bratface suggested.

I'm thinking maybe the plastic bag idea plus some vaseline or petroleum jelly to keep any leaking water off off the wound and stitches?. I'm no dr but a just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom