Sorry if this is dumb, but what do you wear under a wetuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I realized I am not sure what to expect to wear under a suit (if it matters I am talking a 7mm one piece.). I have seen skins etc, and read that I should not wear one with a properly fitting wetsuit. I decided boxers wasn't the answer although it seems that trunks would be kinda bulky, bunchy, and maybe chafferific too. So what do you wear under a wetsuit? What would I wear to try one on, and then once I own it?

Sorry if it is a dumb question, I think it is worth knowing.

Beach britches.I had a cave instructor who wore a speedo_One of my old dive buddies wore nothing.A dive skin is nice in cooler temps if your suit isnt too tight.

I wear "jammers." They don't bunch up and give better coverage than a Speedo. (My Speedo days are WAY behind me.)

Not a dumb question, but it's been discussed many time before. :14:

If you don't like the bunching of a suit, try Underarmor or something similar. These are like a pair of bike shorts without the padding. More modest than a speedo.

All this is assuming you are a guy. :D

Most guys i know wear either speedo's or speedo swim shorts. I just wear my regular bathing suit, but im a chick so its kinda different

I would try just wearing a regualr girls swimsuit, but I would feel funny being seen in it (I am a guy) so maybe I should start with my regular suit, and get something skimpier (Woooohoooooo) if that is not comfy.

p.s. Florida? Il? Ca? You guys spying on the PNW or something? :wink:

Scubapro has a Hybrid short. I've worn mine for over a year now. My guests got tired of me stripping down to zero before putting on the wetsuit. And it became increasingly difficult to convince them the water was extremely cold when i had not yet been in.

My sweetie wears a Speedo, I wear my swim suit. A skin would make a 7ml easier to get into though.

Coming from a big person, just remember, if you can't see your speedo's, chances are quite good that no one else wants to either!!!!

If your wetsuit is hard to get into wet, purchase a dive skin. These still makes you ugly as heck, but at least it speeds the time you can get in the water to save some dignity. This again comes from someone large enough that I once thought about painting shark teeth across my chest to trick the food chain into thinking I was bigger than they were. Lol.

My suggestion? Nothing beats a good fitting Henderson's Hyper-Stretch. These things were made for folks who have a beer gut. Nothing is needed other than a comfortable pair of swimming trunks and I would assume any good quality wetsuit would be the same.

Safety note for today: Here in my neck of the woods, the temps are passing 100 and the humidity is thicker than granny's churned butter. Start drinking (water) the night before. If your not having to stop every few to take a piss, your not drinking enough. The sun on the back of neoprene will zap you in no time.

Take care, and safe diving.

Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom