Canister light management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(GUE teaches over the shoulder. That's what I meant by 'GUE way'. At least, that's what I learned in DIRF about 3 months ago. I was told no under arm due to stage bottles.)

I guess checking SPG is not possible without swapping hands at night anyways??? (Today's wasn't a night dive...) I do realize this was a stupid question now...

So, I guess when scootering you use the light with the right hand?

How strange, having gone through three difference GUE classes this was only discussed once. And that was to question why I was going over the shoulder. Maybe because its the difference between practical and theoretical?

Theoretically one should go over the shoulder. Practically it doesn't make a darn bit of difference in most diving. Even with one stage it is usually pretty simple to go under the arm.

Consider also that when you go over the shoulder you are more likely to twist the SPG which can put stress on the o-rings in the spindle.

Kevin

Having have to switch from under the arm to over the shoulder, I didn't see any difference regarding turning the SPG in both techniques. Once the SPG faces the right direction, it stays
that way throughout the dive. For me both techniques have no difference since I do single tank rec diving with no stage.

How strange, having gone through three difference GUE classes this was only discussed once. And that was to question why I was going over the shoulder. Maybe because its the difference between practical and theoretical?
Ditto on that. I've been through 3 GUE classes (DIRF, Cave 1 and 2) plus sat in on a few more DIRFs as camera dude, and I've never heard of "over the shoulder.

Theoretically one should go over the shoulder. Practically it doesn't make a darn bit of difference in most diving. Even with one stage it is usually pretty simple to go under the arm.

I agree. Can't say I have a problem accessing the SPG even with 4 stages or deco cylinders but maybe next time I'm out I'll try "over the shoulder".

There is an exploration GH available. It has a thumb ring on the right side.

....though it also works well without the ring.

I'm very surprised to read about the gue way "over the shoulder" that was the way I did it all the time and in the fundamentals course my instructor reprime me about that, and almost teach me how to hold it with one hand to clip and unclip it, and chek under your arm, so easy!

I understand that the most important point to hold your light with the right hand while spg or do the dump valve is to make the habit to always maintain the light forward and steady, (so you have to hold it with the whole hand not just with one or two fingers) the purpose on this is very clear while cave diving (or cavern in my case) when cave diving you'll use to go on line formation, so anyone who's in front of you will blind you if he check spg or dump air with the light in the hand, and if he's going behind you he will interrupt the light (passive) comunnication so make the habit to always maintain you light pointing forward in front of you, doesn't matter if you're rec only, remember that gue standars are made for that reason you do the same no matter if you're caving doing tec or rec..

David

It's good to get into the habit of always thinking where your light is pointing and what you are 'saying' with it.

Therefore when dumping gas, checking your gauge whatever - swap out your light to the other hand - including when scootering.

The 'over the shoulder' may just be a terminology thing. I've seen students tuck their heads down to try to read their gauge whilst still clipped off as they are unsure about clipping/unclipping, or unclipping but bringing it barely higher than their waiststrap. Unclipping a gauge and bringing it round to the front to read it is good practice and one that I would encourage on a Fundamentals course.

Personally, I route a gauge that I have unclipped to read over stages rather than under as it more easily clears multiple stages and leashes that way. Building good habits like this early on helps - but it's no drama if you do it differently as long as you are efficient and can maintain communication.

Also keep in mind that light in the left hand feels a bit strange for right handed divers so initially it is important to make it comfortable and second nature. But, going to your right when needed is no big deal. In Mexico where very long scooter rides are often followed by swims, everyone I have ever dived with switches to a right hand temp hold for the swimming portion to give their left shoulder a break.

OK, here's another one...

After I started using the canister light, I learned that for some tasks such as dumping air, checking SPG I need to move the light to right hand. I got used to this and it is working fine now...

How does this work during an S-drill (or maskless ascent) when the donor is helping the OOA diver, holding his arm with right hand for example. Looks like this will be an issue if the donor wanted to check his SPG while his right hand is busy holding his budy. Say, the team is swimming towards the exit line or ascending together...

I guess I could clip the light off, but this sounds like a bad idea to me everytime I need to
dump air or check SPG. Also dangling light head on the right chest d-ring could blind my teammates or cause communication issues? The donor also could stop the OOA diver and
handle the situation and then continue?

I will practice the basic-5/drills with the canister light soon and I'll learn more about this in my upcoming DIRF dives, but I just want to make sure I don't get used to wrong techniques
before my training dives...

Don't bother checking the SPG.

You're keeping track of your air usage in your head, right?

You checked it during the air share, right? And if you were taught the air share after the SPG check/show to OOG buddy was removed...you were above rock bottom / turn pressure, right?

Either way, checking your SPG on the way out will only complicate things and slow you down with unnecessary steps for the exit.

I am a proponent of taking the 5-10 seconds to unclip the SPG and show it to the OOG diver and then glance at it yourself as the "last step" of the air share before exiting. It gives both of you a chance to breathe and think about the exit.

As far as touch contact...if you're in touch contact with another diver, your touch will be more important than your light signals. For the third man (who should be sammiching the OOG/maskless diver between the two of you), light comm is still important. But for the OOG/maskless guy? Stow his light. He'll grab you if he has further problems...and if you encounter further problems...use your light to signal your nearby 3rd...

In a 3-man failure...lights become essentially irrelevant.

Silt out (all three maskless) or one maskless or one with post shut down, etc.

I will practice the basic-5/drills with the canister light soon and I'll learn more about this in my upcoming DIRF dives, but I just want to make sure I don't get used to wrong techniques
before my training dives...

Sorry but this really gets me... Why are people practicing stuff that's supposed to be taught in the class!!! If you know how to do these things why bother with the class then???

I hope that you are practicing the right things... and sorry if I am apprehensive in helping you DIR-I.... But I find that people practice way too much when they should be taught these in class.

(Just go dive with some of the local divers who have been thru Fundies and don't worry about the class..... just dive dude)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom