Canister light management

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It was my first dive today with a canister light and I do have some minor
questions.

During the dive I immediately realized that I can't dump my air nor check
my SPG without switching hands (light from left hand to right hand.)

It was a fantastic dive with no problems(*), but I just want to know if you guys
swap hands when you check your SPG or dump air from the real dump valve.

I check the SPG by bringing it over my left shoulder (GUE way.)

No non-DIR answers please... (Recreational single tank rig)

(*) I did blind my teammate couple times when I was taking notes and I will have to pay attention to that in the future. Also it was little bit hard to reach the light switch...

I'm with you; I've found it much easier to thumb the light while adjusting buoyancy or checking gas. It has the advantage of freeing up your hand, and also keeping your light stable for your buddies.

I have one instructor who has seriously criticized me for switching hands with the light, though. Apparently it is not the preferred procedure when scootering. He encouraged me to learn to do everything with light in hand, and it is possible to do so. It's just turned out to be a hard habit to break. And in a cave, I'm still going to thumb the light, because spurious light signals drive everybody crazy in a cave.

It was my first dive today with a canister light and I do have some minor
questions.

During the dive I immediately realized that I can't dump my air nor check
my SPG without switching hands (light from left hand to right hand.)

It was a fantastic dive with no problems(*), but I just want to know if you guys
swap hands when you check your SPG or dump air from the real dump valve.

I check the SPG by bringing it over my left shoulder (GUE way.)

No non-DIR answers please... (Recreational single tank rig)

When needed to bring your SPG forward or dump gas, you want to temporarily hold your light in your right hand.

There is no specific "GUE way" of checking your SPG. Bring it over your shoulder or bring it under your arm, which ever work so long as you are bringing your SPG to the light rather than your light to the SPG.

(GUE teaches over the shoulder. That's what I meant by 'GUE way'. At least, that's what I learned in DIRF about 3 months ago. I was told no under arm due to stage bottles.)

I guess checking SPG is not possible without swapping hands at night anyways??? (Today's wasn't a night dive...) I do realize this was a stupid question now...

So, I guess when scootering you use the light with the right hand?

Try to do it the same way....

Thumb the lighthead...

Grab your SPG and windmill it over....

Bring your light head over to give the gauge face a bit of light (so it'll glow)

Check pressure...

Stow... then bring light head back to left hand... :) easy no?

Oh and on a scooter, do all of that with the scooter in your right hand as you are dodging kelp, rocks, and navigating as well :D

And if you are in San Diego make sure to snap a photo of the two whales as you are scooting by....:crafty:

What does 'thumb the light-head' mean exactly? Does it mean swap hands?

With my big mitts it is pretty easy to temp hold the light with my scooter hand. This is if I'm the in trail or line abreast (because light forward is good). However, when leading, the common practice down here is to do the "superman" pose with the scooter out front on the right and the light in the left with the left arm straight back so that the light becomes a like a beacon for the other divers in trail. Again, if line abreast light forward.

Bottom line? Scooting with the light...make sure everyone can see it.

Lynn, who said don't switch the lighthead over to check gas and dump your wing? Thats just plain wrong, sorry. All 4 (5, 6, whatever) instructors I've worked with change hands, scooter or no scooter.

Now, you need to be able to work a reel and such without clipping off the light, thats for sure.

With my big mitts it is pretty easy to temp hold the light with my scooter hand. This is if I'm the in trail or line abreast (because light forward is good). However, when leading, the common practice down here is to do the "superman" pose with the scooter out front on the right and the light in the left with the left arm straight back so that the light becomes a like a beacon for the other divers in trail. Again, if line abreast light forward.

Bottom line? Scooting with the light...make sure everyone can see it.

99% of the time this really annoys me and I consider a bad habit. (and I say this fully admitting having done it myself upon occasion)

a) It will either blind me as you shine it right in my eyes - Annoying
b) If heavy particulate is in the water "fogs" everything up and I cant see - Annoying
c) Has the scooter in the lead forging ahead without looking back to see if I am following. As he can't see my light I can't get his attention - Annoying
d) trains team mates to assume the proper place to follow is behind me - Annoying

I would rather the people in the lead scooters wait to confirm their buddies are following them and the scooters following always either try to assume a wing on wing formation or where inappropriate, at least have their lights where I can see them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom