Getting wet locally

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rr75

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

(I posted a variation of this elsewhere, but wanted to get some local feedback as well.)

I was certified earlier this year and did my checkout (and AOW) in Hawaii. I've done about a dozen dives, but wanted to get started locally this summer, maybe do some diving and progress to the rescue class.

Any advice for what the first (and second, third, etc.) step might be for a new-to-California-waters diver? I've heard great stuff about Monterey, but am a bit nervous about trying an incredibly thick wetsuit in cold water (quite different from Hawaii, I'm guessing). Is there any group, class, club, whatever that specializes in newbie Monterey divers? (Once I get situated a bit with diving locally, I'd definitely be interested in dive buddies as well.)

Background on me: 27/male, in San Francisco proper, don't own gear beyond the personal stuff (but would buy stuff if I dove more often). Not a millionaire, though...a state employee, in fact, and about to earn minimum wage until a state budget gets signed... :)

Thanks!

Diver Dan's in Santa Clara offers a "Discover Local Diving" orientation for Monterey that costs $20 plus dive equipment/boat fees (if applicable) - a classroom session on Wed night and then dive the following Sat. Haven't done it myself but it looks interesting. Check out the website for details - go to "Classes", then "Discover Local Diving" under "PADI Core Classes".

Agreed. Dan's will not steer you wrong.
Dan's is a bit of a drive if you're in SF, so another place closer to you is Bamboo Reef in SF. I haven't dove/dived with them, but they do have a shop in Monterey also and offer totally guided tours customized for you-or so I'm told by a friend that dives with them. They are a lot more expensive tho $85 for 2 guided dives as opposed to $20 at Dan's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom