Sweet new Oxycheq/ Solus light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to Joe at ScubaToys, the manufacture increased the price A LOT!

The manufacture is Solus, and I assume the lights are made in Ireland where the company started just a couple years ago. The ONLY authorized dealer in the States is Oxycheq, but I assume they are acting as a wholesaler. Maybe Oxycheq upped the price, but that's not what Joe indicated.

ScubaToys dropped this light due to the price increase.

The cost of materials has been going up as China buys up the world supply of just about everything. However the amount of Alum in this product is not all that big, and I can not imagine what could have jumped the price a whopping 50%.

I've been meaning to get this for well over a month, and was actually very pissed off when I went to order this, and the price had jumped that much. 20% is bad enough, and things often jump that much in a year... but 50%.. .absurd....

I too had been looking at this for a couple of months and was super pissed off when I finally went to order it...hopefully someone else will make a light of similar if not better specs for less money in the not too distant...heres hoping...

I was about to suggest using Golem Gear as at three days ago they were selling it for $225, but today I re checked and they too have uped their price to $280....#@$#%*&^%...GRRrrrrrr

So let me ask you this - what stuff anywhere, except for real estate, is going down in price? You want or need the light - go for it. I handled the light at DEMA, and it really is a work of art. Unless you have figured out a way to take your money with you in the afterlife, spend it now.

So let me ask you this - what stuff anywhere, except for real estate, is going down in price? You want or need the light - go for it. I handled the light at DEMA, and it really is a work of art. Unless you have figured out a way to take your money with you in the afterlife, spend it now.

I have a 10W HID. I don't NEED this light, but I certainly had decided to purchase it at IMO was a bit of an expensive price. $300 for a light that runs at full power for less than 2 hours with no charging system. No thanks...

I have little chance of taking my $$ anywhere, but this company has screwed up. You don't introduce a product at $249 retail (ST's was selling it for $199) and then increase the price by 50% right before XMAS. It's just a stupid way to run a business. ST dropped the light, and as one of the largest scuba retailers in the world, that is not good business for this startup.

I agree, it is an awesome light. However there is a lot of competition out there, and for the price they are NOW asking for a 4W LED, it's a joke. This technology is only getting better, and IMO this company just shut the door on this light.

I don't know if anyone considered this, but the dollar has been weakening steadily against the Euro for some months now. I looked at the Solus website to see what was going on, and the price for the light has not increased. What I suspect you are seeing is an adjustment to compensate for the weak dollar. I was planning to send my daughter to Scubatoys (she lives nearby) to pick one of the Solus backup lights to bring to me at Christmas. I was amazed that they were able to sell it for $200. I'm not surprised that they had to raise the price dramatically. I don't think it's really fair to blame either Scubatoys or Solus. Both need to make a profit. The economic situation is the culprit.

Phil

ok firstly Im not trying to get into an argument...but....Tom I agree with you, but assuming I or others have such disposable income which I for one do not, 200 was a push because as you said its a great torch but 300 is out of my price range so I can no longer consider it as much as Id like too so I guess some of my annoyance is disappointment based, I do agree 100% with your philosophy i.e. you cant take it with you...so IF youve got it spend it..here here...I only wish I did...

Dutchdown yes you are right the USd has been steadily declining but not enough to warrant the 50% increase. I have read this thread twice and am unsure who was blaming Scubatoys I dont think anyone was, in fact scubatoys stopped stocking it due to the high increase in price perhaps an indication of their displeasure at the increase. Yes for 200 it is a great torch but if that price was unreasonable to begin with then perhaps the price should have been higher to begin with, no arguments on its apparent quality. I guess if the torch had been on the market for some time the increase may have been a little easier to swallow, but timing, timing, timing...

Being honest FOR ME the core issue is not so much who uped the price or why, Im just very disappointed as after much research and agonising I finally decided to get this torch only to have it snatched from my grasp at the 11th hour...boo hoo

So perhaps its my fault for not paying more attention in school and ending up with a low paying job otherwise I could afford it and wouldnt be throwing my toys out of the sandpit. ha ha....

Anyway theres bigger fish to fry so ill get off my soap box...

Its all good, for those who can afford it Im green with envy...

Merry Christmas...and good diving....

Check out this LIGHT

I may try out one of these, maybe as much for topside as diving. It says it's rated to 50 meters, so this is NOT the technical light for deco diving. OTOH, it gives one a price comparison. This light has some serious technology behind it offering various dim settings, automatic shut off for heat overloading, battery indicators, a strobe mode, and a LOT of other cool technology. HERE are the full specs.

Too bad it's not rated a bit deeper for those looking at a serious tech backup light. However for the diving I do, it would be more than adequate. I also did order the Vega, so we shall see how well I like that.

I seems like someone put's the word "Scuba" in front of anything, and the price doubles. I just paid $5 for ten cents worth of talc in a nice bag (so add a buck). It was worth it because I don't want to hassle with finding a *deal* to save $4, but it illustrates a point.....

I've seen the DiveRite Backup 300 lumen in action, and it's impressive. That's $360, but I think that I'd go with that over the solus at $300 as it burns at full strength for 12 hours.

Ron, yes it looks like an interesting light, I think you should buy it and let us know how good it really is...ha ha...Oh I own the DiveRite LED 300 and yes it is impressive, super bright, I use it as a primary..very very nice and yes 12 hours on 8 AAs...and small and did i say bright....and actually i would say it burns at full for longer than 12 hours...I have used it for about 15 open water nights dives ( around 50mins per) without changing the batteries and it hasnt dimmed yet that I can tell anyway...let me know your thoughts on the vega I too will order it but after Xmas perhaps..apparently for its size and price (around 80 lumens for around $80) its pretty good, Im sure more than adequate for open water backup...I look forward to your thoughts...cheers

oh no, I just read that the cost of the vega was going up from $80 to $120 something to do with the price of toothpaste going up in Mongolia....its a joke...just playing...peace...Merry Christmas...

Back
Top Bottom