How upset would you be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought my Mom an OW class for her birthday. I have made several purchases at the instructor's shop. From my dealings with him, he gave me the impression that he is a very safety minded person, so I assumed he would be a good instructor.

I began to have misgivings about the class when my mother told me that he had cancelled the second of 4 classes. I asked when he rescheduled the class, and she said he said there was no need to reschedule because they were a small class and they could catch up in the other classes. I was pretty upset about this but I chose not to say anything because I didn't want to make my mom nervous.

The next thing that bothered me was when my mother told me that she was having trouble staying up off the bottom of the pool. I told her that it is pretty common for instructors to overweight students in the pool, and asked her if the instructor had demonstrated how to do a weight check. At first she didn't know what I was talking about. I described a weight check, and she informed me that her book explained this, but the instructor said it doesn't really work. I couldn't hold my tongue on this one, but I tried not to seem too concerned.

Onward to the OW dives... After dives 1 and 2 my mother's ears were bothering her. I asked if she was having trouble equalizing. She wasn't sure. She said she couldn't tell if her ears were equalizing or not. I told her that if she can't feel them equalize, then they aren't equalizing. Again I'm bothered that her instructor didn't tell her this. She was confused because she was told to pinch her nose and blow "gently". She was afraid that if she blew too hard she might hurt herself.

On OW dive 3 her ears were too painful and she had to reschedule the final OW dive. After OW dive 4, I could tell that she was pretty upset. She had become increasingly nervous throughtout the course. Instead of her confidence building with each dive it dwindled. At this point, I wanted to know exactly what had been taught in each portion of the course. I found out that she had only had a total of 3 hours in the pool before moving on to her checkout dives, and 30 minutes of that was spent on swimming tests. Each person in the class only had one chance to try each skill in the pool. People were obviously not comfortable with the skills, but they moved on to the checkout dives anyway. The checkout dives were used to teach the skills that were neglected in the pool, and on "checkout" dive 4 my mother was still being taught skills. She was severely overweighted. She is a small woman and she was made to dive with 26 lbs in fresh water!!! At one point she was having trouble finding neutral bouyance and slowly adding the necessary air to her BC. Her instructor grabbed her inflator and added air, causing her to have an uncontrolled ascent. He was in a rush to get the dive over with, and she was to unsure in her skills to certify. The one good thing that I can say about her instructor is that he had the prescence of mind to tell her that she needs more work before he can certify her. He then told her that she won't be able to attend any more pool sessions because the pool is too crowded, but she can come to the next set of checkout dives?????

This wasn't a $200 cheepo course. I paid close to $500 for the course and another $200 for fins, mask, boots, and snorkle at the instructor's shop. Am I wrong to be upset?

Yes, you have every right to be upset, and your mother as well. An unpleasant first experience in the water is all it takes to turn someone away from scuba. I would contact your certification agency and explain what had happened...

Rest assured I wouldnt be too happy with having spent 700 USD total on something that turned out to be a bad experience and not what I paid for.. I woulda had a chat with the shop myself first of all, being the one that had paid the bills and shopped there previously

Have you contacted the shop? If you can't address this with the instructor, the shop should be your first stop to remedy the situation. Calm and clear discussion will hopefully lead you to a resolution.

For sure I'd move her to a different instructor as it sounds like this one has broken any trust bonds that may have been present at first and that your mom and he have not been able to build any others.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I don't care if it was a $75 discount course. That instructor was paid to insure that the student (your mom in this case) had an understanding of the basic theory and a minimal level of competence in the H2O. Basically that instructor is liable (as in legally liable as opposed to liable to or maybe) to make sure your mom has the skills to dive safely. I would go have a talk with him. That is unacceptable. If he won't work with you I would persue a full refund or perhaps contact the agency he represents (Padi, Nauii, etc). I don't care what release forms the student signs, what you have described sounds like instructor negligence to me.

I see others have responded while I was typing. They all sound like good, level headed advice.

In retrospect I would talk to the shop owner regardless of what other action I took. I would try to get another instructor AND at least a partial refund. If that shop owner wants any more of your money he will try to turn you into a reasonably "satisfied" customer.

The instructor is the owner of the shop. Frankly I'm not that concerned about the money spent and I don't want any compensation. I just wanted to see if this sort of thing is standard practice and if I am justified thinking that her instruction was grosely inadequate. Do people really certify divers with only 2.5 hours of instruction in the pool?

jefffalcone:
The instructor is the owner of the shop. Frankly I'm not that concerned about the money spent and I don't want any compensation. I just wanted to see if this sort of thing is standard practice and if I am justified thinking that her instruction was grosely inadequate. Do people really certify divers with only 2.5 hours of instruction in the pool?

That's a crash course in my opinion. Not a certification. I had 8 hours in the pool before I was even allowed to take the final exam and I still feel that I didn't have enough time to master all of my skills. 2.5 hours is insane. Might I ask what agency it is?

My OW class spent 4 hours in the pool, despite the fact that we where an "easy class" who got the hang of things rather quickly.. After the pool there where 6 OW dives, last being supervised only. I was rather shocked when We came up 4 meters from where we went down and came up 4 minutes short of out planned max time :D

Some courses are better than others, some are faster than others, but this sounds like it's on the bad end of bad. The skills are supposed to be learned in confined water before doing them in open water. Equalization is way too fundamental a thing to be glossing over. And an instructor sending someone to the surface with the "elevator" button is really unacceptable.

Unless it's a case of your Mom really not jiving with the instructor and not getting enough to describe what is going on accurately (which I doubt from the sounds of it, just too many things wrong) - if it's like you're saying, you should want compensation, if only not to let the instructor get away with this. Sounds like he may be breaking standards in which case he should be reported.

I think I had 10 pool hours in a class of 4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom