Dealing with floaty feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am 6'4" and I find that with a thicker wetsuit my feet want to end up over my head when I am hovering. I am using the integrated weight pockets on my BC....I am wondering if, because of my height, the weights are effectively high on my body, thus moving the pivot point (center of gravity) up on me and giving my feet more leverage. I am thinking of distributing some weight to a weight belt to get some weight lower on my body as well as to get more of the weight distributed equally around me front and back instead of having most of it towards the front as the weight pockets make them.

What do you think? I do have ankle weights, but I am trying to first trim my primary weights so I don't need them.

Would the DUI weight belt let me get the weights any lower than a regular weight belt?

The DUI won't really let you get any weight any lower then a belt. Might try out the ankles.

I would go with the ankle weights for a little bit. Once you get comfprtable, you may find you can remove them. You can try ankle weights that combine for 3 pounds - not too much on the legs, but it will keep your feet down more.

sorry jeepman, but DUIs W&T absolutely will allow you to get the weight lower. I've seen people wearing their weight at the widest point of the hips.

rob, where on your body do your BCs weight pockets fall? and what kind of BC is it?

Don't do ankel weights. This is never an option. The last thing you want is to tire you legs unnecessarily. Try redistributing the weight, shifting your tank, adjusting the shoulder straps, or something else - anything else.

More info:
- I have used ankle weights off an on in the past, but I like the idea of not using them...I would think that throwing 1.5 lbs up and down on each fin kick takes more energy.

- I am using the Pro QD BC...it has two rows of pockets in each weight pouch, so I load the lower to capacity first before using the upper. The BC does have adjustable straps, and I tend to have them cinched pretty tight to avoid having the BC ride up on my at the surface, so this raises where the weight pockets ride on me and makes the waist strap more of a belly strap. On my next dive I'll give another try of letting out the straps and trying to get the "waist" strap/buckle to stay securely under the beer gut.

- I do use the ballast pockets in the BC

- As for moving the tank around - in cold water I am diving with no less than 30 pounds with an AL 80 tank, so I think in terms of percentage of weight the tank is a small part of the overall thing.

Rob9000:
Would the DUI weight belt let me get the weights any lower than a regular weight belt?
I don't know about the DUI Weight Belt, but the DUI Weight and Trim Harness absolutely will.

You can adjust the weights up and down quite a bit, anywhere from up where a weightbelt would be, to hanging down off your butt. Your local DUI dealer will probably let you try one in the water.

Another benefit is that because of it's design, it's absolutely impossible for you to accidentally lose your weights because your belt slipped off or a pocket fell out of your W/I BC. Until you pull the rings to ditch the weights, they're not going anywhere.

I'll never go back to integrated or a weight belt.

Terry

If the BC has two tank straps you could always put a weight pocket on the lower one. If it's low enough on the tank it could balance you out a little better.

And despite the expert opinions rendered above ankle weights are always an option- just not the most preferable one. I've seen one company that offers them in sets as light as 1 pound.

Try adjusting things around till it's comfortable, that's all that really matters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom