More photos of my daughter on a rebreather -- Blue Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know much about rebreathers-what are those 3 squares on your daughters left wrist? How old is your daughter. Just made up my mind to go to Blue Grotto after seeing those pics. Very nice, Doc. kk

The three squares are individial displays of PO2. They give a representation of what you are currently breathing. If you've taken nitrox, you know that you have an MOD for a given depth. Well that MOD is usually at the point where the Po2 reaches 1.4 ATA. With a rebreather, you can simply punch in the Po2 figure you want, like 1.4 or 1.0, or whatever, and it will mix the gases for you to try to keep you at that number.

I will caveat that by saying that the rebreather Doug's daughter is using does not have that feature. It will not automatically make the correct mix for you. You have to do press "buttons" to make it happen manually.

It's a cool rebreather, and very simple. But it requires focus. Judging from the last photo, I see this is a KISS Sport. Nice unit. I hope to try one myself in a couple of months.

I have a dive buddy who dives the Sport.. its so weird to dive with him being so quiet and all... it really makes me wish I had one!

Great photos! Congrats to your daughter!

Awesome pics again, Doug! I'm glad you can't tell I'm envious...

debersole:
She doesn't like the way her face looks in a black mask.

Neither do I. My mask skirt is clear, too. It's not just a female thing. :)

I know nothing about rebreathers... Just curious is there an alternate air source? I dont see one on the girl. I see an intergrated inflator but no hose connected.

Just curious.

YIKES!!!

Usually, the RB divers wear a bailout cylinder. Something like a 40cuft for open water, or an 80 for decompression dives. I am VERY surprised to see that no bailout is being worn here. I certainly wouldn't dive in OW without one. I don't see a cylinder on the instructor either. Very odd.

[edit]

Oh DUH! It's a KISS! On this model, the diluent (in her case air I am sure) is connected to the mouthpiece. The KISS unit has a mouthpiece that lets you switch from the Rebreather loop (closed circuit) to regular Open Circuit with the turn of a knob. If you look at their mouthpiece, you'll see that the front looks like a regulator with a LP hose going to it. That's because that is exactly what it is. With the small tank on the unit (looks like they have 13cuft tanks) it won't last long on open circuit, but should be plenty to get of from the 50ft there in Blue Grotto.

That switch over is designed so that a diver can come off the loop and see if everything is "normal", then go back. AKA a "sanity breath". It is not designed to let a CCR diver bail out. And as you can see, it does not even plumb into the octo.

I am jealous too... wish I had a Dad that set me up like that...

Doug, want a new son???:huh: I swear, I will love you too...:rofl3:

BTW... awesome pics, you should be proud of your daughter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom