DCS Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100:
Same thing happned when we travel on an airplane, but then may I add a question?
I think all of us have experienced air pressure change (pressure at our ears etc) when we are travelling on an aircraft, so my question is, how well do they keep that 1 ATA (or Atm, another convention) within the sub and on an aircraft?

A commercial aircraft is not kept at 1 ATA. Commercial flights allow pressure inside the cabin to decrease more gradually than the ascent of the aircraft itself, but on a flight with an altitude as high as 43,000 ft, the cabin pressure may be as high as 8,000 ft. This is part of the reason it is not safe to fly after diving.

gangrel441:
A commercial aircraft is not kept at 1 ATA. Commercial flights allow pressure inside the cabin to decrease more gradually than the ascent of the aircraft itself, but on a flight with an altitude as high as 43,000 ft, the cabin pressure may be as high as 8,000 ft. This is part of the reason it is not safe to fly after diving.

Ah...h I see. Thanks!
Is $ the only reason why commercial aircraft is allowed to have pressure change like that within the restricted altitude?

alo100:
Ah...h I see. Thanks!
Is $ the only reason why commercial aircraft is allowed to have pressure change like that within the restricted altitude?
By letting the cabin go up to 8,000' altitude, about 0.75ata, there is less differential pressure across the airframe, allowing the airplane to be lighter weight.

At 40,000' the pressure is about 0.19ata. That's about 0.81ata less than sea level and a plane pressurized to 1ata would have 0.81ata, or almost 12 pounds per square inch of pressure working against the frame of the aircraft. By reducing the internal pressure to 0.75ata, the differential pressure is reduced to 0.56ata.

Dr Deco:
Hello readers:

It is similar to null gravity in space films. They just pretend that they have artificial gravity. In the form shown in films, such is not possible.

Dr Deco :doctor:
So what I grew up to believe watching star trek is not real? Man what a bummer.....

In a submersible you have a trapped bubble of air in the cabin that starts out at 1atm. As you breathe the scrubbers take your exhaled CO2 out of the cabin air and the pressure begins to drop (there is always a barometer on the instrument panel to let you know what’s going on). Additional oxygen is metered into the cabin by a bellows controlled valve, and this brings the pressure back up to 1 atm which restores the oxygen level to normoxic. There are usually two oxygen analyzers plus Dragger tubes in the cabin.

Just as a side note it is thought that the captains will increase the O2 level to give the crew more energy when it comes to important thing like cleaning before an inspection. We didn't call it Nitrox however.

1_T_Submariner:
Just as a side note it is thought that the captains will increase the O2 level to give the crew more energy when it comes to important thing like cleaning before an inspection. We didn't call it Nitrox however.
But you might call it fire drill!

Dr Deco:
However, in the film The Deep, they were pressurized, since they had a direct connection with the sea. It was though this that they would launch the submarines.
Hey Doc. I think you mean, The Abyss. The Deep had Nick Nolte diving for treasure and getting Robert Shaw's head bit off by a giant moray. :D

don't mean to make any Navy boys mad here but I have a little silly----
Q: If you send 100 sailers out to sea submerged for six months in a submarine,
What do you have when they come back??

A: 50 couples hahaha!!

I am an old jarhead

Back
Top Bottom