simple way to signal a distracted diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cbulla,

I don't recommend an air horn. When I was a teenager we had those little can air horns for alerting in case of emergency. Being teenagers we grabbed one and hoped in the pool with it, to see what it sounded like under water. It made noise, but whatever is in that can froze in the airhorn part and the thing free flowed until it was empty, it had a good size block of ice on it by the time it finally stopped. And that was in an 80 degree pool.

Jake

instructor for my OW dives had a subduck. Worked pretty well, once she surfaced with one diver, told me and the other girl to stay under, after a few minutes when she couldn't get the other girl back down, she sounded it from the surface 50 feet up and we all surfaced.

where did he state that there was a runaway ascent? you sometimes go vertical to vent from your dry suit and in low viz that could cause for her not to be seen.

'Probably a better thing do would be to figure out why she had a run away ascent (scary). '

HID...or...get a buddy who's more situationally aware. :wink: (or both)

When I was in Key Largo this spring a guy on the boat had a Sub duck. Seemed to work good. Just gets your buddy looking around.

your cell phone, you didn't hear verizon wireless is making Underwater cellphones

wallacm:
your cell phone, you didn't hear verizon wireless is making Underwater cellphones

...actually, this is probably the only situation where two cups and a long string would've come in handy...

I usually dive in fairly low vis waters and have had success with using a light to catch buddies attention.

Some divers (me included) aren't good at pinpointing the source of sounds.

My OW instructor had a clicker (the ones they give away at football games). It was unique and could be heard pretty well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom