Cats vs Dogs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakeybrainsurgeon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The world is divided into three groups: cat people, dog people and those who hate/fear them both.

Actually, I like and own both, but I have no illusion about cats. They are stupid bags of reflexes. When I was a neurosurgical resident, one of my colleagues was doing vision experiments with cats (PETA close your eyes) that involved removing most of their brains except for the vision and motor centers. The cats had no frontal lobes or temporal lobes... when the animals healed and the experiments done with, the animals were given away as pets. The owners couldn't tell them from regular cats!:confused:

For those who think cats are smart, please point me to the nearest seeing-eye cat, or to the nearest drug-sniffing cat, or to some person saved in the alps by a rescue cat. Thye are pretty, affectionate at times and clean. But stupid. Who stands with me or against me in this debate? Cats or dogs?

Cats are selfish.

Dogs are not.

Dogs will love you blindly and want to please you. Cats will rub on you if the have an itch. They are happy to see you if you have food.

I would have a cat if I had a huge rat problem.

Hands down, I vote canines. (NO Pit bulls, please)

DSC_0015-3.jpg

My kitties are very affectionate and I would have to say dog like. I had a dog when I had a big house and yard, not in my condo, I have my 2 cats that are brother and sister. They know their names, play games and very affectionate.

I think it depends on your experiences with them.

I prefer my pets over most people....lol Better personalities and more genuine :)

Add group four: those who love them both. At least our own :wink:

Adore our two Ridgebacks and our three, very different, cats. Every pet brings something new to the mix and each of ours are important to our day to day lives.

Not too fussed about a lot of other people's dogs OR cats (or kids for that matter), though! Jumping, barking, licking, scratching,slobbering etc aren't cute...

shakeybrainsurgeon:
snip

...one of my colleagues was doing vision experiments with cats (PETA close your eyes) that involved removing most of their brains except for the vision and motor centers. The cats had no frontal lobes or temporal lobes... when the animals healed and the experiments done with, the animals were given away as pets. The owners couldn't tell them from regular cats!:confused:

snip

Cool experiment! :D

Why not make this a poll?

I am a dog person. In spite of the fact that 9 stray cats have "adopted" us and live around the house (must be the water and cat-food we leave outside), I am firmly and resolutely a dog person, and if all these cats and kittens disappeared, I wouldn't bat an eyelid... well, maybe just for a second or 2.

Dogs RULE!

cat just have different priorities.

Where I live, there are few cats as the ones that are let outdoors are snacks for the local wildlife. I have three dogs, love them all. We have had cats in the past when we lived in a bit tamer place, I loved them too.

shakeybrainsurgeon:
please point me to the nearest seeing-eye cat, or to the nearest drug-sniffing cat
I am a both a cat and dog person.

But seeing eye dogs do not have interest in helping disabled persons, nor do drug sniffing dogs sniff for dope because they are interested in law enforcement, they do it for some sort of reward, i.e. a treat or toy. Not very smart when you think about it.

During 9/11, rescue dogs were used to find survivors. The firefighters found the dogs became listless because no one was found alive, they just kept finding bodies. The firefighters then began to hide among the rubble and let the dogs "find" them. This brought the dogs back to life and kept them going...the 'reward' for these dogs was finding people alive, not dog bones. How stupid is that?

Dogs evolved alongside humans as companions and servants. cats were bred much more recently as ornaments, like little bonzai versions of jungle cats. By their nature, domestic cats have not been bred for either brains or companionship. What affection they do show is because they look at us as either kittens or their mothers, the only social bonds they know. They do not look at us as companions.

I like cats and dogs both, but I think even people who profess to be both cat and dog people are really one or the other. A dog knows...

Besides, are humans any different from dogs--- does the average palooka out there do anything if not for either a) a reward or b) to avoid punishment????:confused: Ther are the mother teresas of the world, but not many.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom