Just bought my first Drysuit, what do I do for socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpm88yb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The suit I bought is a USIA Techniflex with the hard sole boots attached.

I'm diving in the Seattle area so generally the water temp is in the 50s year round.

I asked a couple of people at my LDS when I was in looking at drysuit hoods ($80 for a hood was more then I was prepared to pay), and all I got was blank stares back. :confused:

So, if you guys would mind giving me some sock suggestions (brands to look for and purchase locations would help) I would appreciate it.

Thanks

-Ryan

Any halfway decent hiking sock, the kind you get at an EMS or REI, it all depends on how much room is in your boots.
I use one of the light polypro liner socks plus a midweight hiking sock -- gets me to a comfortable fit. I actually picked up one heavy sock pair, but they are slightly too tight and I run warm, haven't had a problem down to upper 30s water temp.

Pick up a pair of Weezle booties.

They're the shizzle.

Prices, etc. here:
http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_onlinestore/drysuit_accessories/weezle_ordering.htm

I wear any pair of wool socks underneath, you can get these for decent prices at Wal-Mart. It's prudent to have two pair, so if you enjoy leakage you have a dry pair for the second dive.

Pull on a pair of wool socks then pull on the weezle booties over those and you're good for whatever Puget Sound or the San Juans can throw at you! :wink:

Doc

I'm using REI thick polypro hiking socks, and then I found these incredibly soft, wooly polarfleecy kind of socks at Costco that are the cat's meow. Lots of the rest of me gets cold, but not my feet.

These are awesome for the price...

Smartwool :wink:

If your boots are roomy, and your feet do run cold, these were pretty nice:
82-0029 Cabela's Polartec 300 14" Heavyweight.

(They only cost $15)

Kudo's to anything Weezle...they get my vote.

Make sure whatever you buy has wicking properties. Although I tried using a Nike brand that had that...and it was for running....which was my mistake....helped to cool me off. Just thought i'd pass my mistake along.

They make polartec booties/socks that are pretty thick and warm. I think Dive Rite has those. Ask you LDS about them.

I use thick wool socks. They seem to keep me pretty warm although I plan on getting some nice thick booties. As long as you have some room in your boots, the Polartec will work.

Oh and don't wear any cotton up against your body...including socks.

Thanks guys. I went to REI on my way home from work and grabbed some polypro liners and a couple of pair of hiking socks with my left over dividend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom