Best place to buy a drysuit in Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be working in Vancouver starting in Feb, for probably a good year and a half. Now I want to do some diving when I'm out there, but I need a drysuit (as does me wife). No moew wetsuit diving for me.

Anyway, any reccomendations on the best place to buy a suit? Brand? We're looking for shell suits, not neoprene.

Thanks,

Darryl

They're based out of Vancouver and have a full range.

Bare

I know there are somewhere in southern BC and you can buy direct........

Whites Drysuits

Not known quite as widely as some, but they make a heck of a suit and have great customer service.....

SS

I second Whites. I purchased one a little over a month ago and have about 20 dives in it now and I love it. Great suit, very durable and a good price. Their factory is on Vancouver Island, so you might make a trip over to check it out...

http://www.brooksdivegear.com/

They make excellent suits!!!

oops didnt read till after I posted that you dont want neo.

I have a Whites AquaPro trilam and a Brooks c4 neo, the brooks is better made. Zipper is the strongest I've seen on any suit. The material is alot stronger. Swims with alot less drag and doesnt give you the saran wrap feeling when your being squished. Plus I only have to wear top and bottom long johns instead of a 1/2 inch thick undergarment. The suit dries very quickly. Dont have to wear any more weight then I did with the Trilam which is 0 with double 85's and up.

I know,, more info then you asked for. Couldnt help it I love my Brooks.:)

I live in Vancouver and I would NOT go for Whites. I think that their customer service is good, no argument there. I do not think that their product is as good as others. I own a Whites and would not go that route again. I would look into a Bare suit. A couple buddies have them and I like what i see. I would go that route. Look at the Lite model (XTR Lite or something like that). I have been over this with buddies time and time again, examining it backwards and forwards. DUI makes a great suit too (TLS 350) but it is double what you pay for a Bare and I don't think you quite get double the value but if you got the cash. Great choice on choosing a shell material (bilam, trilam, etc). Avoid the neoprene as the compression you get at depth not only messes with your bouyancy but it also looses it's themal properties. My last suggestion would be to go for a neoprene neck seal and latex wrist seals. The comfort, warmth and lack of neck rash you get with neoprene neck seals is a hands down winner in my opinion.

Take it for what it is worth but a couple buddies and I have just been through examining all these issues and suit types and that is our quasi group opinion. Good luck!

Can you recommend a dive store or another vendor for BARE suits in the Vancouver area? I think that's what Darryl (dvleemin) was going for.

noshow once bubbled...
I live in Vancouver and I would NOT go for Whites. I think that their customer service is good, no argument there. I do not think that their product is as good as others. I own a Whites and would not go that route again. I would look into a Bare suit. A couple buddies have them and I like what i see. I would go that route. Look at the Lite model (XTR Lite or something like that). I have been over this with buddies time and time again, examining it backwards and forwards. DUI makes a great suit too (TLS 350) but it is double what you pay for a Bare and I don't think you quite get double the value but if you got the cash. Great choice on choosing a shell material (bilam, trilam, etc). Avoid the neoprene as the compression you get at depth not only messes with your bouyancy but it also looses it's themal properties. My last suggestion would be to go for a neoprene neck seal and latex wrist seals. The comfort, warmth and lack of neck rash you get with neoprene neck seals is a hands down winner in my opinion.

Take it for what it is worth but a couple buddies and I have just been through examining all these issues and suit types and that is our quasi group opinion. Good luck!

You may want to adhere to Noshow's advice...... I only threw White's name there because I knew they were in BC and my buddy dives one. He's never had a problem with it.....
I, however, ordered and got a good deal on the Bare HD Trilam (still not in ..... (im)patiently waiting). Its a sweet suit, the price was really right, and my Bare wetsuit has been through the ringer and still holding up well.....

SS

try The Great Pacific Dive Company on Marine Drive in North Vancouver. There is one in Surrey too but hit the one in North Van. I think they will do Bare out of there. If you want to do DUI (which i would if i had the cash) you can ask GPD if they'll do it or try BC Dive Adventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom