Instructors in Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would also def try to stay in koh tao. driving a speed boat for 1.5 hrs one way a day and back to dive koh tao is comletely useless. youll be dead tired when all is said and done. koh tao is a much more laid backed relaxed island anyway so why not stay there. would prefer it over samui in a heartbeat as i hate the constant hustle and bustle of samui. good luck w ur friends decision.

Island Hoppa:
i would also def try to stay in koh tao. driving a speed boat for 1.5 hrs one way a day and back to dive koh tao is comletely useless. youll be dead tired when all is said and done. koh tao is a much more laid backed relaxed island anyway so why not stay there. would prefer it over samui in a heartbeat as i hate the constant hustle and bustle of samui. good luck w ur friends decision.

1.50 hour isn't much, Dive boat traveled from samui to sail rock nearly 2.5 hours and i loved that part. If diving was the only factor for my holiday i could stay in kohTao for more than few days. why do you care about tauts?

There is no hustle and bustle in samui, except chaweng and it's not anything close to what you see in patong, samui is very large island and you can stay chung mong, bang rak, mea nam, bank bor with all the services you desire...they are very nice

The taa toh resort is rather meager, a simple bunglow with fan, shower and toilet but it's cheap and located outside of the main town in a beautiful location. The Diving is always with small groups, and the classes hardly ever exceed 3 or 4 people. (Generally 1 or 2). Nils, the instructor is the best. Check out their website: http://www.taatohdivers.com.

dsteding:
Greetings,

I have a friend that is going to be heading up to Koh Tao in a few days. If anyone has recommendations on instructors, places to go to or places to avoid, please let me know. If appropriate, a PM is fine.

Also, what is the going rate these days for OW?

Thanks in advance,

-Doug
Hi Doug; My family and I just returned from Koh Tao. We went to get them certified. we went with a Planet-scuba, right out of Mae Haad. Instructor's name is Bob. He came highly recommended and lived up to it. Planet Scuba contact name is Toby (manager-kohtao@planet-scuba.net). they have a pretty good package going, very friendly team. the whole program goes for BHT 9,700 (USD250). they also have rooms within a 2mins walk from downtown. We had both aircon and fan rooms bungalows. Go for the fan rooms at BHT 300 (USD8) per night. Say hi from JR

I,ve dived with planet scuba and didnt rate them one bit, we actually signed up for a 20 dive package and got most of our money back after 7 dives.
The DMs coulnt be bothered to speak to you in a civil manner, the organisation was shoddy, the food on the boats was poor, the equipment was in a poor state, and their attitude was overall quite bad.
They werenot interested if you had a good dive, it was rigidly set at a 45 min dive it didnt matter if it was at 5 m or 25 m you had no choice out of the water.

my advise is find a nice small dive opperation away from the main beaches and

DONT DIVE WITH PLANET SCUBA

bubblemonkey - when did you dive with Planet Scuba? Seems that JR Strele enjoyed diving with them recently. Staff turnovers can turn a friendly dive shop into a bunch of arses sometimes. I recommended Planet Scuba to JR and am glad to hear you had a good time, sir! An old friend called Jim Hutchinson who I knew in Utila in 1998/99 is now a course director there (instructor trainer).

I spent a lot of time diving with Phoenix divers. Did my AOW and rescue course then spent about 3 weeks diving with them cause they were just ace. Neil Farmer is an excellent instructor. Really wish I had of had time to do my DM with them. They offer PADI and SSI Check out:

http://www.phoenix-divers.com/

Can't recommend them enough and they've got the best boat, easy to spot from underwater cause its pink!

Hope you have a great trip. Koh Toa is alot of fun.

There is, as far as i know, only a few shops who rigoursly go for quality instead of quantity.
Scuba Junction on Sairee Beach never has more than 4 people in their classes and fun diver groups. Great atmosphere, very good and motivated staff. I can highly recommend it....
Just go in there and read the Guest comment book like I did, that says it all.
www.scuba-junction.com

john costas:
There is, as far as i know, only a few shops who rigoursly go for quality instead of quantity.
Scuba Junction on Sairee Beach never has more than 4 people in their classes and fun diver groups. Great atmosphere, very good and motivated staff. I can highly recommend it....
Just go in there and read the Guest comment book like I did, that says it all.
www.scuba-junction.com

4 people in their classes? That's a lot. :huh: Are these numbers usual or only during higher season? Seems to me, Thailand DCs care about numbers only. Somtimes If you don't emphsise for 4 days OW, they want finish you off in 3 days only :shakehead

I think for classroom, pool and dive session all, shouldn't be more than 2 people at a time for each instructor.

I say:
-Samui for learning
-KohTao for fun diving
what you think?

For small classes, and excellent instruction the the Taa Toh resort is very good. Most of the other operations in Koh Tao are crowded and therefor less individual attention. The dive center is located on Taa Toh Lagoon outside of Chalok Baan Kao a smaller version of Sairee Beach. I have dived with them on several ocassions and have spoke with people getting their OW certification. All of them gave very high grades. Nils the instructor has patience, understanding and a good sense of humor. The diving in Koh Tao is far superior to Samui. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom