P.A.D.I. Drug Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kraken:
Keep in mind, you open youself up to litigation if certain statements are made which cannot be substantiated and result to "damages" suffered by the accused.

the K
I am sure that is not the case here in Canada and I doubt it would be the case in the US. Reporting suspected drug use is everyones duty and should not fall under fear of reprisal.

I can assure you that you wouldn't want to be sitting in the defense chair if you had caused someone the loss of his/her job because you told his/her boss that she/he had been smoking dope on the job and then failed to provide solid evidence to the fact.

Let's see, defamation of character, slander, loss of wages . . . I'm not a lawyer or portray one on TV, but I sure as heck wouldn't put myself in that position.

Old saying down here in the south, "Don't let ya mouth write a check ya butt (usually another word) can't cover."

The prudent method would be to contact PADI Q/A, in this manner the complaintant remains annonymous.

the K

newtodiving:
Does PADI perform random drug testing on their certified instructors? During my training to become an open water diver, my instructor left the class and went to his van and was smoking. When he got back, his eyes were glassy and bloodshot and he smelled of marijuana.

I would run....to the nearest phone, dial 911, report the loser, get his sorry as* arrested, then call PADI and inform them. If there is an arrest for use and/or pessesion, PADI should be reponsible enough to take action.

Any kind of drug or alcohol use/abuse during class should be grounds for a public hanging. A public flogging at least.

If you see a problem that you KNOW will threaten the safety of another individual, it is your DUTY to bring it to the authorities that can swiftly act in the proctection of that individual. If you dont then YOU become a part of that problem.

Wow. I feel so square. A glass of wine and I'm out for the evening...

My instructor doesn't even drink an occassional beer. I think he's naturally high- the only substances he takes are when his back/hip pain flares up- but mainly he endures it and uses acupuncture or something instead.

Long live the geeks! Never smoked it, not gonna try!

Although no agency that I'm aware of does initial or random drug testing on instructors as an "agency policy," there are some dive shops that do use drug testing. Divers Direct / World Watersports requires initial drug testing and background checks for any instructor desiring to teach their students. The instructors are hiried as independent contractors but go through an employment application process which includes drug & alcohol testing, background checks, employment history, and reference checks before they are brought on board as "affiliated instructors" and can provide scuba instruction.

While I know that this does not apply in this case, you should all know that when an Instructor or DM is out on a six-pac with a Captain and six students (passengers) that Instructor or DM is considered crew and is beholden to all the rather strict USCG rules and regulations. If there is even just a minor boating accident, all crew will get drug tested.

As Thalassamania points out, most Instructors involved with resort charters are clean because of Coast Guard rules. Out here few companies tested their employees 'til a crackdown about 5 years back. Several Captains here lost their licenses, I think even an owner or two had to stay off their own boat and take a class. Now everyone's pretty good about the pre-hire test and ongoing randoms.

Once you get outside of the boat charters though, I'd bet there's a lot of Instrutors who are into illicit drugs. Teaching while impaired ought to be reported to their agency's quality assurance guys though, not sure exactly what would be done about it though.

No drug testing.

I agree with The Kraken, contact the QA dept. They will investigate it. Also avoid that instructor. I don't smoke and don't condone it, but to not even be able to wait until later in the day when instruction is done. This guy has a serious problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom