Microbubbles (RGBM) & Uwatec Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse:
Perron. I think what Romantic meant was that as a techie he like technical things, not that he is a tech diver. So there is no reason why he cant use a Vytec ( except price ).

Oh... I misread him then. I thought he was talking about getting into technical diving. Well in that case, just buy any SUUNTO, or the Mares with RGBM, and insert a 1 minute stop at half depth, and a 1-2 minute stop every 10ft above that. That's what I do.

The VR3, and HS Explorer are VPM anyway (or can be), not RGBM if memory serves.

Romantic :
My reason for considering a new computer is not to increase my bottom time

When choosing a dive computer you should also consider what specialty you will
be taking in the future. You dont want to dish out another big sum of $$$ for another
computer. Romantic if you want to increase your bottom I recommend Nitrox. It goes
hand in hand with Digital Photography. Trust me you will love it.

CoolTech:
Additionally, this thread is NOT about technical diving. It is a question about a particular dive computer.

Orcamaster threw me off with that "if your planning to do Tech diving..." comment. Sorry for getting offtopic.

PerroneFord:
Orcamaster threw me off with that "if your planning to do Tech diving..." comment. Sorry for getting offtopic.

I read your previous post... your advice at correction is sound...

I am Nitrox certified and no I am not interested in "Tech" diving. I am simply a "techie" person who likes electronics :)

I really like all the features and the display of the Uwatec SmartCom and SmartZ but I simply think I would like to be able to see my real no-stop time even with a microbubble level set.

I am trying to make a purchase decision based upon reading the manual and getting opinions here. My Wisdom has a “Dive Time Remaining” display which is the lowest of time available based upon no-stop, O2 or air remaining. The SmartCom seams to have a separate remaining bottom time (RBT) display, but the manual seams to imply this is only relying on available air supply for its calculation. Does anyone know if the SmartCom RBT is like the Wisdoms and takes everything into consideration and gives you the lowest time available? If so, I think I will like this computer.

I really wish all computer makers would provide video simulations on there websites!

Romantic:
I am Nitrox certified and no I am not interested in "Tech" diving. I am simply a "techie" person who likes electronics :)

I really like all the features and the display of the Uwatec SmartCom and SmartZ but I simply think I would like to be able to see my real no-stop time even with a microbubble level set.

I am trying to make a purchase decision based upon reading the manual and getting opinions here. My Wisdom has a “Dive Time Remaining” display which is the lowest of time available based upon no-stop, O2 or air remaining. The SmartCom seams to have a separate remaining bottom time (RBT) display, but the manual seams to imply this is only relying on available air supply for its calculation. Does anyone know if the SmartCom RBT is like the Wisdoms and takes everything into consideration and gives you the lowest time available? If so, I think I will like this computer.

I really wish all computer makers would provide video simulations on there websites!

With all due respect, you seem to be looking for a computer that will "automate" your diving. Nothing like that exists. You will need to be responsible or some portions of your dive.

There is no RGBM (or VPM) computer that I am aware of that will calculate your air consumption rate, your pending deep stops, and your NDLs, and give you a nice package of "this is how long you can dive". And most would not want that.

How much reserve nitrox/air do you leave in the tank? Is it always the same? How will the computer know? If you intend to come up from a 60ft dive with 500psi, but a 100ft dive with 900psi, the computer would have to know that in advance to give you the information you seem to want.

The computer cannot factor in things like current, a boat that's late picking you up, an underwater emergency problem like a free-flow, a lost buddy. All of these require more reserve gas in the tank and if you aren't planning well, you could well burn too much gas to be able to do the stops you planned on.

While computers are great, they are no substitute for good planning. I wish you the best of luck in your choice.

With all due respect, you seem to be looking for a computer that will "automate" your diving. Nothing like that exists. You will need to be responsible or some portions of your dive.

:confused:

Where did you get this ideal???? I have never said anything I think could be construed this way!

I read every dive article I can find. I plan every dive and do a pre-dive talk-through about the dive with my buddy (who is my 16 yr old daughter). My daughters and I even dive with redundant air supplies!

Yes, I like bells & whistles on my “toys”, but I consider my scuba “toys” to be life saving equipment, thus my desire to find out everything about a piece of equipment before I purchase it!

My question is concerning the data displayed on 2 specific computers! I simply want to know if the RBT displays on the Uwatec SmartCom & SmartZ will be the lowest of air-time, no-stop time, or O2 time.

I also need to know if the RBT time remains displayed even if your dive no requires/requests a deep stop. The manuals graphics do not show what the tank display looks like for this.

This is from the manual and it is not clear to me. It seems to be saying RBT is only air-time.

RBT is the time left at the current depth until the point of time when the ascent must
be started. The RBT is shown in the lower display. The RBT is calculated on the basis
of the current tank pressure, breathing rate, the temperature, and the dive data
so far recorded. The RBT is based on the assumption that the tank pressure should
amount to the set pressure (default 40 bar/600 psi) at the end of the dive. Alterations
can be made with SmartTRAK.

Honestly you may be overthinking the bubble thing for the diving you are doing.

Choice of safe recreational diving practices will go further towards reducing DCS risk than choice of recreational dive computer brand. Be well hydrated, rested, slow assent of less than 30 fpm, 1 min stop at 30 feet, 3-5 min stop at 10-15 feet, avoid hard exercise during dive trip and after diving, give yourself a 18 hour plus surface interval midway thru a weeks dive trip. Oh yeah read the manual!

The profiles used in the Wisdom are the MOST PROVEN available for recreational diving.

I have the Smart Com and too am trying to better understand the L0-L5 settings. Up until now, I have used the L0 setting and have had success, which is good. What would L1 do? I know L5 is the most conservative setting and have read and reread the manual and for the most part understand it. I guess what I might do is do a relatively shallow dive, say 40' and "test" the computer in L1 mode and see what happens. I always have a safety stop - computer or no computer. I started diving with analog gauges and have one as a back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom