What is the funniest/strangest item you have found underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found a few things over the years

one time i was taking a couple for a dive at Molokini crater which has a reputation for finding wedding rings, and all divers are warned about the fact that new wedding rings have been known to fall off while diving. so on this dive i was watching the divers and i noticed the male diver pull his wedding ring off and toss it to the bottom, about 40 deeper than we where diving.
well when nobody was looking i dropped down and grabed it.

it was a mans wedding ring and his new bride was sunning herself on the boat, so when we returned to the boat she noticed right away that it was missing, and he showed and incredible about of remorse and distress about it.

thats when i spoke up and said hey i found a ring maybe its yours. the look on the grooms face when i handed it too the bride was worth giving up the ring.

I have also found other thing, set of skiis, a bike one cool ting off the beach in front of the Royal Lahina in a hundred feet of water sits an old cast iron chair the enteresting thing about it is that it sits upright in the middle of the sand, and on each leg is a very large coral head probable a 100 years old each. very art deco.

the most rescent strange thing was on my first dive below 300 feet, i had set my end to 180 feet so there was a bit of narcosis, our planned depth was 350 feet and on the way down at 340 feet i saw a set of scuba gear, as i got closer i noticed that there was a wet suit attached, and then of course I realized there was the body of a scuba diver. the story is much longer but this thread is what i found, so i will leave it at that. the most disturbing and unusaul item i have found

AquaTec once bubbled...
the most rescent strange thing was on my first dive below 300 feet, i had set my end to 180 feet so there was a bit of narcosis, our planned depth was 350 feet and on the way down at 340 feet i saw a set of scuba gear, as i got closer i noticed that there was a wet suit attached, and then of course I realized there was the body of a scuba diver. the story is much longer but this thread is what i found, so i will leave it at that. the most disturbing and unusaul item i have found

Oh...come on...you can't leave us hanging like that! Tell us!

AaronBBrown once bubbled...
I found a fully functional SL4 dive light last week. I'm using it tonight!
Funny, I found one a couple of weeks ago too...

Duh! A 2 foot tall, 80 pound concrete Mogwai!

We found a few class rings, several pairs of jeans and some underwear, and a 5 dollar bill on the same dive. Par for the course at that dive spot :wink:

AquaTec once bubbled...

Are you trying to tell us you found a dead diver or were you so narced out that you found your buddy and did'nt recognize him as that?

I have found live rounds of ammunition, tools, at least adozen anchors, fishing lures,snowmobile windshields, fishing poles and reels...bottles of course...............:wink:

The site where I did my check-out dives has a few cool things set up underwater. Included are:

a bathroom set with mirror (that's kinda cool...looking at yourself underwater)

a motorcycle
couple boats

and the best one is a mannequin with full scuba gear and a sign that says "lost diver"

nothing too fabulous. The most interesting thing (to me) was a hand blown glass wine bottle I found in Galveston Bay.
I have it on display...it is beautiful.

The most unusual items:
In Galveston Bay: A lockable bank deposit bag, with the lock broken off-perhaps even "shot" off.... (we turned it in to the police).

Pensacola: A missile (air to air test missile/with no warhead.It had been fired, but was an obvious miss.)

Also, lots of gear (weigtbelts, mostly), a pair of Varnet (sp?) sunglasses, a pair of Oakley sunglasses, assorted underwear (geesh, must be common)....oh...

and on a successful search and recovery mission in about 20' of water: A folding chair, upright on the bottom, with clothes and jewelry still on the seat. (This was waaaayyy back, when I was a teen). We went skinny dipping with some New Yorkers who had come down to Alabama for a wedding. One of the girls didn't mind getting undressed and sitting on her clothes and jewelry on the long dock, but she decided suddenly that she didn't want to get in that muddy, yuccky water. Soooooo.....

we picked her up, chair and all, and tossed her in.

She got all of her stuff back , including her diamond earings. Lucky girl.

Some of the more noteworthy things found:

An icefishing pole & reel. Not unusual by itself but as i grabbed it and started to reel in the line a live Walleye fish was still attached and alive. It was a nice one too! Yummy!

An old tennis shoe. Again not that unusual but i picked it up, to throw away when we surfaced, looked inside for any critters and found a wallet. Funny because that is where i usually put my wallet when boating & barefoot.

Paper money. I figure i'm up about 50 bucks over the years. Don't discount those shallow dives near popular swimming areas.

gedunk once bubbled...
Paper money. I figure i'm up about 50 bucks over the years. Don't discount those shallow dives near popular swimming areas.

You're so right. I have found a lot of dollar bills at Cozumel!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom