Lost Item Off dock - Seeking Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all!

As the subject says, I was looking over a dock at night, didn't realize where my phone was at the time and it slipped out of my pocket making the title of this post. My absolute acceptance that that thing hit the bottom of the lake hit me immediately. I tried diving in at 3am to save it but I couldn't see as the visibility of the lake was not great that day. Warm water, but terrible to see it even with a flashlight. The phone itself is waterproof or the highest extent it could be and is in a case so there's a chance it could still be recovered. It has a lot of personal memories on their I didn't get to upload, I also run a small business in which some important files are on there that could really help me out, and really its the only new phone I ever had in my life, usually just buying very old gen phones... errr.... okay VERY old gen phones. I am actually using my old Blackberry, you know with the keyboard?

Its been keeping me up at night dreaming about getting it back since it is right there. even if I can just run it for a few minutes and extract what I need. Also I don't really like the idea of having E-Waste at the bottom of a beautiful lake at the end of a dock where fish are active.

I am not a scuba diver not do I have to much experience with anything close to what most of you all do. A light bit of snorkeling but that's my extent. I will try to give enough details, I would love any suggestions you have. If you need more details just let me know.

The notes:

Its in the Madawaska River (Fresh water lake) just off the end of a dock. Its not very deep down maybe 10 feet? It is sensitive to disruption so you can kick up a lot of the sediment. On a clear day you can see the bottom and that is fine.

I tried diving down but its significantly difficult when you have to come back up and you could have been just inches away from it.

I made an attempt to drag along the bottom but its like quicksand almost and kind of just keeps sucking things down so I decided against doing any more of that and kicking up more debris.

I tried magnetic fishing (as there is a metal back that is used for car dashboard mounting) and I found something somewhat strange. The bottom sand is consisted of metal particles that stick to the magnet which might not help. I am not sure if a metal detector would even be useful at that point?

It must be in a 7x7 ft radius as it wasn't launched away from me just fell off the end of a dock.

There is minimal seaweed/vegetation in the area

I do not have scuba gear nor am I certified. Also I do not have any underwater lights powerful enough to really work well so I am limited to the day.

Any advice on how to recover this phone would be greatly appreciated!

If there are any local scuba shops, stop in and have a talk with them. They probably will enjoy getting a chance to get out, if not they probably know someone who would look forward to doing it.

I see posts like this frequently on local FB scuba groups. Lots of times a few bored scuba divers will do it just for fun. I have seen car keys, phones, and even a drone confirmed recovered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom