What is the oldest Item you have found underwater? Mine is 15,000+ years old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After diving through a sump we found a nearly compleat skeleton of a short faced bear. They have been extinct since the last minor glaciation that ended aprox 10,000 years ago. The bones have since been dated to roughly 13,000 years old.

The crazy thing was the claw marks in the sand looked like they had been made recently. I have pics of my boot prints next to bear prints. We cavers assumed that the remains were recent. Because the cave was mostly sealed off other animal remains have been found there in good shape.

Way cool... I've found several Meg teeth and a Wooly mammoth spit tooth off of Venice Beach Florida.

Many Meg teeth at Venice Beach that have been estimated to be several million years old. It's a very simple and relaxing dive in about 30 feet of water. Years ago we would simply find them laying on the bottom. In the last few years, because of silting, they are much harder to find.

About 10 years ago, I was lucky to be a part of a team of divers to explore Little Salt Spring with The Florida Aquarium and the University of Miami. Over the course of several years, we found and dated many artifacts from the spring that have been placed in several museums and still owned by the University of Miami that were estimated to date back about 10-15,000 years from the Paleo Indians of that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom