Traveling in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could some people share some information about bird flu in Indonesia?

I am quite worried about it.

Thanks.!!

Not to be a pain, but unless you are travelling with your canary, why are you worried about the bird flu in Indonesia? Thus far the virus is not able to transmit itself from people to people, so all the concerns being raised are hypothetical. I doubt it you'll be living with chickens in Indonesia (okay, they'll be around), but you won't be handling them so the likelihood of catching it is low.

If/once the virus is able to transmit itself from person to person, nobody is safe anywhere---you might do well to move to either the N or S pole. Don't let the gov't BS about buying vaccines (untested) or preparing of the medical community fool you, the medical system in the US and around the World could easily become completely overwhelmed if/when the flu becomes able to transmit itself from person to person.

There is no doubt that the bird flu is in Indonesia, likely widespread amongst omnipresent poultry and I seriously doubt if the gov't is doing much about it.

The Jakarta Post is probably the best source for information (English Indo News).
www.thejakartapost.com

My opinions are a bit fatalistic, sorry...

Best,

JK

Cases have been found in Sumatra and Java. There are 7 cases and 4 deaths in Indonesia according to WHO. Is it more widespread? Probably. Just don't go to bird farms or parks(extreme) or handle bird faeces(cause of spread) and you'll be fine.

I met a woman who spent time on Flores and caught malaria. Take precautions (medication and repellent, netting, etc)

Blackfish:
Not to be a pain, but unless you are travelling with your canary, why are you worried about the bird flu in Indonesia? Thus far the virus is not able to transmit itself from people to people, so all the concerns being raised are hypothetical. I doubt it you'll be living with chickens in Indonesia (okay, they'll be around), but you won't be handling them so the likelihood of catching it is low.

If/once the virus is able to transmit itself from person to person, nobody is safe anywhere---you might do well to move to either the N or S pole. Don't let the gov't BS about buying vaccines (untested) or preparing of the medical community fool you, the medical system in the US and around the World could easily become completely overwhelmed if/when the flu becomes able to transmit itself from person to person.

There is no doubt that the bird flu is in Indonesia, likely widespread amongst omnipresent poultry and I seriously doubt if the gov't is doing much about it.

The Jakarta Post is probably the best source for information (English Indo News).
www.thejakartapost.com

My opinions are a bit fatalistic, sorry...

Best,

JK

I'd add to Blackfish's post regarding transmission. You will not be infected unless you are in close proximity and breathe in the virus from an live infected bird or throught blood or excrement. One does not get infected through eating cooked chicken or other poultry.
Look at it in perspective. I understand that in this whole wide world only about 60 have died from this disease. The chances of being involved in a air crash is much higher !!! That is not going to stop me from flying tonight !

Back to Bali, I like Candi Dasa. There are shops,restaurants and some bars ( not the loud type ) and very affordable accomodation and a beach !! Candi Dasa is also within easy distance for diving Tulamben and take off to Nusa Penida and Tuapekong. Most dive operators will provide pickup from lodgings to and fro for day trips.

Three Christian schoolgirls beheaded in C. Sulawesi

JAKARTA (Agencies): Three Christian teenage girls were beheaded Saturday in the latest attack against non-Muslims in the troubled Indonesian province of Central Sulawesi, police said.

The three high school students were found with their heads severed early Saturday in the sectarian-divided town of Poso, said provincial police spokesman Rais Adam.

The girls were believed to have been murdered while they were walking to school, Adam said.

He said two of the victims' heads were found near a police post while the third was discovered outside a local Christian church in Poso.

"We are still waiting for results from investigation in the field. We are still trying to determine whether this case is religiously-motivated or not," he told AFP.

A policewoman on duty in Poso confirmed to AFP that the triple murder had taken place and that the killings were being investigated.

Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim nation, but Central Sulawesi has a roughly equal number of Muslims and Christians. The province was the scene of a bloody sectarian war in 2001-2002 that killed around 1,000 people from both communities.

A government-mediated truce succeeded in ending the conflict in early 2002, but there have since been a series of bomb attacks and assassinations of Christians. These included a blast at a market in Poso, a predominantly Christian town, that killed 22people in May.

Christian leaders have repeatedly accused the authorities in Jakarta of not doing enough to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice. (**)

I agree that this is terrible. There has been Christian / Muslim unrest in Central Sulawesi for years and no one suggests that travellers go there. East Timor, the Moluku, Bali, and Irian Jaya are also of concern. I spent two months in Irian Jaya and would go there again in a heartbeat.

I have found the people in Indonesia to be universally friendly, cheerful, curious and enjoy spending time there. The bombings in Bali worry me a bit, but not enough that I am going to cancel my plans unless there is a significant increase. I am also headed to Sulawesi next year (Manado) and this doesn't worry me at all. Geographically, it would be equivalent to not going to San Francisco because you are worried about violence in Los Angeles.

Good point Blackfish. Central Sulawesi is so far from North Sulawesi and in several senses.

Firstly, just in the number of miles.
Secondly, travel is much harder and takes more time there, so it seems even further away.
Thirdly, in terms of media and telecommunications these are slower and far less universal than we may be used to. So events seem even more remote.

These occurences are sickening and worrying. I shall continue to travel to Sulawesi, Bali and other parts of Indonesia.

Back
Top Bottom