Raja Ampat liveaboards & resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocasana:
Thanks Gabyne.
All the livaboards I found were full, dates didn't work and/or they had at least 10 days cruise, while I can stop there only 7 days. At the end I found the Kri Eco Resort, they had place, so I've booked there. Apparently Kri island is one of the most interesting dive spots of Raja Ampat!

Manusuar and Kri is only a very small part of Raja Empat, to do it properly and get a good feel for the coral diversity and fish life diversity you really need to a 10 day trip or more. Kri has a couple of outstanding Dives those being Kri point and Sardine but both need to be dive at the right times (currents) to show just how spectacular they are.

With out a lot of additional cost (besides travelling in a small boat that the resort has - not overly comfortable and sleep in the open air) you will ot get to one of the best dives in Raja for corals and fish life Batu Burung aka Melissa’s Garden in the northern Fam Group. Others being the big Botton aka loloh islands which has one of the best swims throughs I have seen (goes right through the island and have seen tawny nurse sharks and large Queensland groups and Giant trevally’s in the cavern)

Whilst down in the southern area of Raja Empat – Missol – there is the kaleidoscope – (a wall in Jef Pele that is just a mass of beautiful colours) – Fiabacet a small rock with a great drop off and schooling barracuda and great soft corals – Boo Island – similar to Batu Burung but easier to dive as has less current.

7 days really sells this area short as there is a lot of distance to cover to see the majoirty and really impossible to properly in just 7 days.

So if you have the opportunity go with the SMY Ondina

Wayan:
Manusuar and Kri is only a very small part of Raja Empat, to do it properly and get a good feel for the coral diversity and fish life diversity you really need to a 10 day trip or more. Kri has a couple of outstanding Dives those being Kri point and Sardine but both need to be dive at the right times (currents) to show just how spectacular they are.

With out a lot of additional cost (besides travelling in a small boat that the resort has - not overly comfortable and sleep in the open air) you will ot get to one of the best dives in Raja for corals and fish life Batu Burung aka Melissa’s Garden in the northern Fam Group. Others being the big Botton aka loloh islands which has one of the best swims throughs I have seen (goes right through the island and have seen tawny nurse sharks and large Queensland groups and Giant trevally’s in the cavern)

Whilst down in the southern area of Raja Empat – Missol – there is the kaleidoscope – (a wall in Jef Pele that is just a mass of beautiful colours) – Fiabacet a small rock with a great drop off and schooling barracuda and great soft corals – Boo Island – similar to Batu Burung but easier to dive as has less current.

7 days really sells this area short as there is a lot of distance to cover to see the majoirty and really impossible to properly in just 7 days.

So if you have the opportunity go with the SMY Ondina

Hi Wayan,
thanks for your advices! Actually this trip to Raja Empat is a last moment prolongation to a 9 day trip to Manado already organized by some friends. Few days ago I discovered I have more time and I've decided to have a look to Raja Empat. I'm also going for 5 days to Beliem valley.
9+7+5+3 (Milan-Wamena-Milan): I can assure you that my dog, my wife, and my boss aren't already very amused!
I will for sure organize something longer/better next year!

gabyne:
Have a lot of fun in Indonesia! I hope all works out well. By the way, when and where are you in Manado?

Gaby

I'll be there between Oct the 2nd and the 12th. Actually I can't remind the Resort's name, but I'll find it out in a few hours and I'll post it here! Will you be there around?

The Ondina...1,5 weeks ago in Maumere/Alor cruise! It is a VERY good liveaboard!

0000904140125C.jpg

0000904141125L.jpg
0000904142125U.jpg

It was stated by one of the management of the resort that they seldom see customers with less than 500 logged dives. Is it really such a dangerous place? How was it compared with the current in Palau. ?

sandrascuba:
Here's the link to my trip report re Raja Ampat. http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2843

I'd stay away from Kri Resort unless you want really, really basic - like sleeping on the floor.

Hope the link helps you.

Sandra
Sandra, have you been to Kri before? There are beds in the rooms at Kri and the newer resort of Sorido. Max (who runs the 2 resorts) is also one of the first pioneer guides of the area. I've been to the resorts a few times.
Personally a liveaboard is needed to dive the area but for some a resort is the best way to holiday, with the feel of sand and sea. Sure it's basic, but what do you expect for pristine diving? Look at Wakatobi just 6 years ago. It's nothing compared to what it is now, and the diving there pales to Papua Barat's 8 kings, in my personal opinion having dived allover Indonesia over the last 17 years.
KKfok
The area usually has more experienced divers because it is relatively new and because of the remoteness of the place, not many casual travellers get there. More experienced divers also want better diving. The currents there are no more challenging than anywhere else.

scubashooter:
Sandra, have you been to Kri before? There are beds in the rooms at Kri and the newer resort of Sorido. Max (who runs the 2 resorts) is also one of the first pioneer guides of the area. I've been to the resorts a few times.
Personally a liveaboard is needed to dive the area but for some a resort is the best way to holiday, with the feel of sand and sea. Sure it's basic, but what do you expect for pristine diving? Look at Wakatobi just 6 years ago. It's nothing compared to what it is now, and the diving there pales to Papua Barat's 8 kings, in my personal opinion having dived allover Indonesia over the last 17 years.
KKfok
The area usually has more experienced divers because it is relatively new and because of the remoteness of the place, not many casual travellers get there. More experienced divers also want better diving. The currents there are no more challenging than anywhere else.
Sorry to be late to reply... I've been away diving and returned home late Monday night.

No, I have not been to Kri Resort but did meet Max during our 10 day trip on the Temu Kira. He came out and had dinner with us on the boat while we were diving the area. He expressly told us the resort is "basic" and undergoing renovation to make it more comfortable. That meeting took place last November.

IMHO, What makes the diving so challenging is the current. We found it to be at least as strong as what we encountered in Galapagos with up currents and pretty strong down currents as well. The other thing is that the nearest chamber is 3+ hours away. That doesn't include the steam time back to Sorong, waiting for an airlift, etc. The diving we did was certainly Not for novice divers.

Sandra

sandrascuba:
No, I have not been to Kri Resort but did meet Max during our 10 day trip on the Temu Kira. He came out and had dinner with us on the boat while we were diving the area. He expressly told us the resort is "basic" and undergoing renovation to make it more comfortable. That meeting took place last November....
Sandra

Sandra, my point was "basic" doesn't mean sleeping on the floor, which was what you said in your previous post. Afterall, "basic" is also "relative." :05:

Back
Top Bottom