Better insulated DSV hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
At depth in the Galapagos, I was having some significant condensation in my loop. The 15C (59F) water made so much condensation that at least a half cup of that "slippery water" would pour out after every long dive. With my Mk 15.5, I do not have a drain plug, so the condensation stays in the loop somewhere until the end of the dive. Part of the problem is that I have the thin PRISM EDPM rubber hoses, so they have basically nil insulation.

I have seen some examples of heavy-duty cloth covered neoprene hoses and just plain (but thicker, more insulated) neoprene hoses; unfortunately, they did not fit the connectors on my Mk 15.5 loop.

Does any Mk 15/15.5 user have a particular hose that works best? I am a newbie, so getting what I need is kind of a shot in the dark.

Thanks for your response

teksimple:
At depth in the Galapagos, I was having some significant condensation in my loop. The 15C (59F) water made so much condensation that at least a half cup of that "slippery water" would pour out after every long dive. With my Mk 15.5, I do not have a drain plug, so the condensation stays in the loop somewhere until the end of the dive. Part of the problem is that I have the thin PRISM EDPM rubber hoses, so they have basically nil insulation.

I have seen some examples of heavy-duty cloth covered neoprene hoses and just plain (but thicker, more insulated) neoprene hoses; unfortunately, they did not fit the connectors on my Mk 15.5 loop.

Does any Mk 15/15.5 user have a particular hose that works best? I am a newbie, so getting what I need is kind of a shot in the dark.

Thanks for your response

I replaced those thin hoses with the thicker APD ones (Just call up APD and they will cut longer ones for you (The YBOD standard hoses are shorter)

I also ordered a set of hose covers from them to fit. Doesnt add much in the way of insulation but does protect the hose without adding much stiffness. I have tried neoprene socks (made for me by local wetsuit manufacturer) and those custom made velcro'd on thingings and they make the hose too stiff for me.

Adding insulation on the hoses will not reduce the amount of condensation once moisture levels reach saturation - it will just change where the condensation condenses out.

If the water is 'slippery' its more likely drool from your mouth. On long hangs I tip to the left then quickly arch upright to let the drool trickle down the exhale hose and run into the scrubber where its soaked up by the sponge - stops that annoyying gurgling :D

Hey DrMike,
is that the rebreather pod for the M-48 supermask? If so, where did you get it? I thought they weren't for sale to the public yet.

Ryvor:
Hey DrMike,
is that the rebreather pod for the M-48 supermask? If so, where did you get it? I thought they weren't for sale to the public yet.

They are only being sold to the Military apparently. Was lucky to get mine from 1st batch before they pulled them.

Lucky indeed. I'd love to get my hands on one. I hope they make them available to the public at some point in time.

DrMike:
I replaced those thin hoses with the thicker APD ones (Just call up APD and they will cut longer ones for you (The YBOD standard hoses are shorter):D

Thanks again, DrMike. I sent an e-mail to Silent Diving Systems, which is the US rep for APD, but they have yet to respond. Do you think I could go to APD direct even if I am in the US? In any case, I will give it a try...

This is what APD said...

Dear Kent

Thank you for your message.

As I am not familiar with the MK15.5 rebreather you would need to confirm exactly what type of hose you require and what length. I can then confirm if it is something we can supply and what the cost would be.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

Sarah Lambrick
Personal Assistant
Ambient Pressure Diving

since I happen to be 7500+ miles from my rebreather, would anyone be so kind as to offer the specs of a Mk 15.5 hose so that I can place an order? DrMike?...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom