Equipment for cold waters dilema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thorz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I am in a big dilema and hope to find some answers with your experience. I live in Norway but just got NAUI OW certified at the warm waters of San Andres Island in Colombia.
Me and the wife have been thinking that buying all the equipment (except the air supply of course) is the right way to go, it is much more trusty than to rent regulator, bc, etc for each new dive. The big situation is that all this equipment can cost almost 4 times more in Norway than if it's bought here in Colombia. I was thinking that the only thing that we were going to buy in Norway was the dry suits and all the rest here.

I have been asking for prices and have found a lot of Cressi gear here that is in our budget. This includes mask, fins, bc, regulator, octopus, basic instrument console (deepth and air), snorkel and knifes.

I have been in contact with my wife's uncle that is a PADI divemaster in Norway and he is telling us not to buy anything here because Cressi is not certified or aproved gear for cold waters, then basically all my echonomical buying plans have been ripped appart :(

Is this a really big issue? Does the equipment need to be aproved for cold water? I think most of our norwegian dives will be done between 3C and 15C degrees waters, I am really not planning to do ice diving, and I like that the equipment can be used when we are going for vacations to warmer waters too (except the dry suit).

I would love to read your input about this.

Thank you very much.

I reciently purchased a Cressi-sub Ellipse Titanium.
This version has a sealed first stage and is fine for cold water diving.
I love this reg!

Here is a quote from Sport Diver Magazine:
“The Ellipse Titanium second stage regulator features a breakthrough patented design that utilizes an elliptical shape which allows for use of a larger diaphragm, resulting in less breathing effort. This truly unique regulator features the diving industry's lightest second stage. Lightweight, yet very durable, the Ellipse utilizes high impact thermo plastic materials in conjunction with ultra lightweight titanium components. The Ellipse is a perfect diving regulator which is designed to meet the high performance requirements of the technical diver as well as the demanding needs of the cold-water diver.

The Cressi-sub balanced diaphragm 1st stage is small, lightweight and versatile. It features an environmentally sealed design
with four low-pressure and two high-pressure ports perfectly positioned, allowing for proper alignment of hoses.

you can also look at Apex regs the atx50 or atx 200 is a good cold water reg but the first stage you will need to but the cold water kit for 25 dollors.(american)

since your in europe look at OMS for siving gear. with the s/s back plate and a continious harness or the iq pack. both realy good gear.;. also dive rite has nice gear too and so does halcyon. all great gear.

Hi Thorz,
In my opinion it's wise to get the best kit you can afford. It really doesn't pay to skrimp on kit, as it supports your life whilst you are underwater.

I recommend Scubapro or Poseidon regs for cold-water diving. If prices are so high in Norway, perhaps it's worth a trip on the ferry over to England - there's a good (and cheap!) diveshop within 5 miles of the Newcastle Ferry Terminal. Not sure what the rules are on here in regards to posting retailers websites, but if you want I can private message you a link.

Lykke til!
Andy

I've heard that water below 10 degrees C can cause regs that aren't enviormentally sealed to ice up, that might be a concern.

Mantasscareme:
I've heard that water below 10 degrees C can cause regs that aren't enviormentally sealed to ice up, that might be a concern.

That is a major concern. Icing up is one of the reasons that most cold water divers will go with a sealed diaphram reg. Personally I wouldn't go with Cressi for regs, they aren't very popular in the US. Another thing to keep in mind is warranty and service. Can you get it serviced close to home?

I can comment on the Cressi Matrix mask, which I have. This mask is NICE!!. If you find that it fits you, buy it you won't regret it. There are a lot of people here on SB that use them.

Mask, fins, bc, instruments , snorkel and knife, buy what you want they aren't going to be any better or worse in cold water or warm water.
I have seen and used one of the newer Cressi BC's and I wasn't impressed at all. They really look cheap and I didn't care for the flight control. JMHO.

Thorz:
Is this a really big issue? Does the equipment need to be aproved for cold water?

Some do yes. Regulators its absolutely vital they are cold water certified (cold water is defined by standards as <10c and conforms to EN250 standard). Even then its better to look at regs that exceed this spec. You definately want an environmentally sealed first stage.

Personally id recommend APEKS regs but there are others.

The rest isnt as vital really although id highly recommend getting the BC in norway too, check it has the lift you need, wont interfere with drysuit inflator and is robust for the amount of kit you'll be carrying.

Thank you guys, I am going to have to buy everything in Norway then, the only things that I could buy here (not worth it really) are knives, snorkel and fins (Cressi Frogs they were offering me).
Maybe the mask would be wise to bought it here, the problem is that it has to be possible to adapt my glassess correction into it, and this is something expensive in Norway, so I maybe will be buying the masks here at least.

Thanks for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom