A few questions: Weight & Hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a weightbelt or ACB pockets (same difference for this comment) and when you ditch them you are not positively buoyant then you are doing something wrong. If that is by choice then I think it is a bad choice as the weight could be better distributed through your system (ie. channel weight or weighted sta that are non ditchable).

How did a simple question turn into a DIR debate and a Halcyon bashing session? Stupid. What the hell has happened to this forum? Why are people being allowed to do that in this forum? The last few threads have had several people starting SH$%T. It's very clear in the rules of this forum that that's not allowed.

Anyway, ACB's are nice for some people but if you're going for a fully DIR rig they do not fall in to that criteria. Simple as that. You won't be shunned for using them either, remember that the gear is only part of the puzzle. If someone has perfect trim, perfect buoyancy, team awareness, situational awareness, can run through SADDDDD perfectly, is very proficient with the skills I could care less about the ACB's personally.

Derek

Well if you want to bring up stuff from another board (which is a non-dir forum) lets do so. You claimed bungie wings were the height of stupidity, whether you're right or wrong. It sounds like a GI statement not a statement coming from a newbie, so this is why you were called a lemming. People can make their own choices about what is wrong or right with out bs statements like the one you made on the other board, you could of explained the reasons why you didnt like bungie wings but you didnt, you werent really in a position too because the original poster didnt really want to know anything about them or dir, he was just asking for a place that teaches tec classes. Now I come on here and you go all wishy washy just like Kerry did in his election and are telling people to wear what they want if thats what they like. ***, make up your mind. You're either DIR or not.
Sounds to me like your getting beat up no matter where you go. Maybe its time you sit back and try taking everything in for awhile instead of blurting out advice, go get some dives in. Derek you're always trying to defend advice that you give. Now thats what I call ironic.

Jamie Z.

Funny thing is that I recently had a GUE instructor demonstrate (on his own single tank rig) and recommend the ABC pockets to me. Instead, to save a few bucks, I went with these:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/XSSTWBK.html

They are velcro, but I will also likely ziptie the weights inside for added security. They go onto the camstraps, not the waistbelt, so no interference with the can.

Also, it was actually recommended by a second GUE instructor last week to put two of the pockets on the upper camstrap up against the backplate on both sides. This was at a pool session in which I was determining the correct weighting for my new drysuit.

Bottom line in what he relayed to me: You have many different options to correctly weight the rig... belt, weight pockets, V-weight, twins, etc. Choose the right mix that will afford proper trim and allow you to swim up in the unlikely event of a BC failure. He also had no problem with the above pockets. (Just FYI, I bought 8 of them on a belt for like $26, compared to $150 for four H's that my wife and I needed.)

Schwim

scubanarc:
Derek

Well if you want to bring up stuff from another board (which is a non-dir forum) lets do so.

No, let's not. This is not the place for it! Where are the Moderators?

Again, a simple simple question turns in to this.

rstark:
If you have a weightbelt or ACB pockets (same difference for this comment) and when you ditch them you are not positively buoyant then you are doing something wrong. If that is by choice then I think it is a bad choice as the weight could be better distributed through your system (ie. channel weight or weighted sta that are non ditchable).
If I have a 4 lb weightbelt and a full tank on my back, I shouldn't become positive just by dropping the belt. Remember the gas in your tank can weigh quite a bit.

jonnythan:
If I have a 4 lb weightbelt and a full tank on my back, I shouldn't become positive just by dropping the belt. Remember the gas in your tank can weigh quite a bit.

If your ditchable weight is not ditchable to make you positive (at any point in the dive) then why even have it? Put the weight in a channel weight. You'll most likely have better trim and much less hassle of the belt.

rstark:
If your ditchable weight is not ditchable to make you positive (at any point in the dive) then why even have it? Put the weight in a channel weight. You'll most likely have better trim and much less hassle of the belt.
How much weight can you swim up?

How much control do you have if you are positive?

Your dog is barking at the wrong tree.

I think you people are taking things way too seriously and concentrating on knit picking small things while missing the big picture. but anyway, here are my two cents:

1) ACB system is training wheels. for single tank diving and training it's fine. I used it, didn't like, sold it on ebay. if it works for you, use it while you grow. in time you will not need it.

2) mask inside a hood fine, is totally fine, except the fact that you may find yourself getting cold, and that's the reason I like my strap on the outside. this really is a non issue.

rstark:
Further to Jeff's comments will your rig itself be bouyant, and able to float by itself at the surface.

Woof

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom