Zoop Novo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manuals are now online. The phosfer-luminescence is there. Thanks for the comments. I will check the details of the pages - Zoop Novo doesn't have the transmitting capability which obviously is a mistake in the pages if it is so. // Jukka product mgr Suunto

The new Novo has actually just one part from the old one - that's the buckle on the strap. That means all the dimensions have been changed the the retractor at least will not fit or not be perfect for the new computer. On the Vyper Novo there is a rubber boot and a bungee adaptor which comes in the package. The retractor is actually not our product - it's sold and manufactured by a company called GearKeeper, so they might do a new retractor for the dive computer as well but that's not at least something we have planned to do currently.

-Jukka

One post but two questions.

Looks like some of the sites thought that the USB cord would come with it but it doesn't, can you confirm please that it is the same cord as all the D series computers.

Second, one site calmed it would have user updateable firmware. Is that true or false.

Thanks again.

Zoop Novo doesn't have the USB cable in the package - Vyper Novo does. Both computers work with the same D-series cable. Older D-series cables work also.

Firmware can be updated by service center not end user. Same as for the D-series.

-J

Zoop vs Zoop Novo,

I noted that while I Google'd Zoop the auto fill popped up with "Zoop vs Zoop Novo". Then I realized that unlike the Vyper's they took the Zoop down so there is no comparison on the Suunto sight. So I've decided to start a list of the changes for those that might be wandering if they should buy a close-out Zoop or a new Zoop Novo.

Zoop Novo additions/advantages:

Easier down load using the D-9 style architecture. With the cord (not included with either one)
Electro-luminescent screen (still has the Phosphor-luminescent screen as well)
Easier four bottom menu (opinions will very here)
Same Nitrox capability but it doesn't revert to air after 30 minutes (a function I found very annoying and often meant I was last in the pool on nitrox dives)
Gage mode (supper useful if you start tech diving and want to keep using your Zoop Novo as a backup bottom timer)(bending your Zoop will do the same)
Free dive mode (not my thing but this might be one of the cheapest options for a free dive computers currently)
Graphical review of dives
Surfase time input in dive planer. (still a basic dive planer otherwise)
Huge memory increase from 50 hours at 30 second interval to 140 hours at 20 second interval
There are some extra watch functions (not sure who will be wearing it around at night to tell time though)

Zoop

Cheaper for now (and though the factory cord is the same price MSRP there are cheaper after market options)
Lots of after market mounting options out there
lighter physically

Other than that (unless I missed some) everything else seems to be the same. Same RGBM, same max depth and operating depth, same single gas up to %50 nitrox ext...

Hope someone finds this useful.

Last edited:
We have them in stock now. I think most dealers should by now...

So I got my Zoop Novo today.

My initial impression is that it isn't heavy (I thought it might be after reading the stats) and it is quite comfortable. It also fits in my retractor just fine. The scratch guard is a far superior design that doesn't make it hard to see like the old zoop. (the water gaps tend to break and draw your attention) It may even make it easier in some ways. The back-light is bright an so is the phosfer-luminescence. The screen seems significantly easier to read like the difference between reading pencil on yellow lined paper vs pen on white paper. I'll let you know after I dive it if I still feel the same.

The only thing that I noticed that I wasn't fond of was that the yellow portion is a clip on part that seems to be separate from the rest. It moves about slightly when I touch it. It makes me concerned that it will get looser over time and since it holds the shield that worries me. Time will tell if that will happen.

Another minor note is that the menu is different than one in my old D9. It's very close but the big change is a little hard to explain. In the D9 you press menu button and you will see your dive mode (whichever one was last selected) and to select a new one, you have to press the up or down button before the self check starts. In the zoop (and I imagine many of the more recent D series) you have to be in time mode to change the dive mode. That seems odd and less intuitive to me. I can see where it might prevent unintentional mode changes though.

The last weird thing is that I was unable to "download" the Zoop Novo with my old D9's cord. This might simply be because I haven't got a dive on it. I figured it would attempt to upload and at least show the S/N and other info but I couldn't get DM5 to recognize it at all. The Zoop did react as I connected the cord from it or the computer so I'll see what happens after a dive. Likely next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 235
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom