Zoop Novo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chicken SCUBA

Contributor
Reaction score
ZOOP Novo is on the web sites and some sites are starting to call the standard Zoop "close out". The one thing I hoped they wouldn't change but new they would was the back light. I love the glow in the dark back light on the original Zoop. My first back lit computer was electric lighting so you had to push a button. I was always blinding myself trying to push that button so I stopped using it and found myself instead trying to get the just right angle with my light to see the screen. With the Zoop you just point your light for a second and voila.

I'll be happy to see an easier to connect and download Zoop though. I was really hoping for gauge mode on the new Zoop and it doesn't look like I got that.

I have five Zoops that I use for training...love them.

How is the new Zoops different?

Back light and 4 buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right so the first change is the back light went from phosphorescent (glow in the dark) to electro-luminescent (push button, uses battery).
Second it is going to the D series style menus. (four button)
Presumably this will mean better and easier downloading.
Last the screen is larger though the device is about the same.
Keep in mind that this is all based of a couple of pictures and the description in a couple preliminary adds.

Hi,
allow me to correct that a little: So there will be phosphorescence and electro-luminescence as well as a gauge mode. All features and functions will be revealed soon...

br Hendrik

Does the timer show seconds?

Gauge mode and they kept the phosphorescence, brilliant. I feel like it's Christmas in November.

Thanks for the info Hendrik.

This new Zoop does sound interesting. Right now I like the easy menu and it works great for my Open Water students. I like the idea of Guage mode for me as a backup bottom timer on some of my trips to remote locations.

Four Bottons...hmmm. My last four button computer was an Aeris Epic and that thing sucked big time. It had a 179 pg manual in fine print and to this day I still cannot tell you how to work it completely.

I know hate is a strong word...but I really hate that four button computer. :angrymob:

Oldbear,

I don't know anything about the Aeris menu but I've always found the Zoop menu clunky and weird not easy. Every time I dive with it as my backup on a nitrox dive I'm always the last in. Partly because of the 30 minute revert to air that the Zoop does and partly because I'm always hitting the menu/select button out of order so it takes me 3 or four tries to get it right. I started with a D series four button and added a Zoop as a backup years later so I may just be stuck in my ways but I think the Suunto four button is far more intuitive than the 3 button.

It will be interesting to hear what a 3 button fan thinks of the 4 button so though your thoughts out if you get to play with one.

FYI I picked up an EON as I started Tech deep so I've been dealing with my Zoop yelling at me if I strictly follow my EON. I was looking around for a deal on a Vyper air black (for gauge mode) until I saw the new Zoop Novo was coming out so I'm excited that it will have Gauge mode so I can use it as a backup bottom timer for my EON.

It's finally released. No manual online yet but it looks like all the assumptions and rumors were correct for the most part.

I see nothing about phosfer-luminescence in the screen, just the electro-luminescence. That will make me sad if it didn't make it in the final version. I also see some probable mistakes in the specifications. Tank pressure check, tank pressure alarm check, gas switching check and better gas alarm check.

My guess is they copy/pasted the vyper novo and forgot to delete those lines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom