Zodiac Pro 9 man vs. Boston Whaler 17 Montauk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akulamd

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am trying to make a decision on the fisrt dive boat I am going to own. I have been diving for years though... I am planning to dive and fish by myself, or with one more person in the coastal waters of San Diego. It comes down to 2 new boats : Zodiac Pro 9 man vs. Boston Whaler 17 Montauk. Both can be outfitted for me with the tank rack, bait tank, DF, GPS, VHF and dual batteries. Boston Whaler is somewhat more expensive and is going to be harder to handle by myself, but it is clearly superior in the deck space and durability category. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

Get the Montauk, it will hold it's value and serve you well, the Zodiac will be worthless in a couple of years. The Zodiac is probably better for beating the crap out of in really snooty conditions but the Montauk will get you out and back in anything you should be out in and what you should not be out in is part of learning, usually after you learn, you don't make that mistake again.

The Zodiac will also be easier to get into and out of. I own a 14 foot inflatable and a 19 foot BW Outrage. My wife is my boat-O-gauge, she hates the rubber toy boat.

N

Do note that there are two flavors of 17' Montauk. The current flavor is
17' 0" has been made since about 2002. Before that, for many years, it
was 16' 7". The current boat is heavier, but rides better. They are about
the same size inside. They get about the gas mileage.

The whaler crowd hangs out at http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro Lots of good info there.

I'd disagree with Nemrod about the Zodiac being easier to get
into had out of. Exit is the same, a back roll off the side (just
be sure to straighten your legs at the knee on the whaler. My
whaler has a fine little three rung ladder on the transom, and
that's a LOT easier than over the tubes of an inflatable.

On many smaller inflatables you don't need a ladder, just biceps, install a nylon handle on the floor inside the tube on both sides, reach over the tube, grab handle and then pull yourself in and then once in reach down, grab wife's tank valve and then lift her in like a wet fish kicking and screaming--put me down---put me down---you---you---cad!

The Whaler crowd does hang out the aforementioned site, mostly they wear coat sweaters and smoke pipes pretending to be blue blood yachtsmen with English majors inanely discussing water logged foam and bow flares and cute sterns.

Many Montauks have baby crib rails on each gunwale, I suppose if you remove those then getting out is made easier.

http://www.whalercentral.com/Boston_Whaler.php

This site is a little more useful despite drawing from mostly the same limited gene pool, it at least has photographs.

N

I am biased since I have a Whaler.
My opinion is that you will probably be happier if you bought one also.
They are good solid boats and you will have something to sell when you are ready to upgrade.

I've used both Whalers and Zodiacs pretty extensively. Go for the Whaler.
The Whaler will last you forever, the Zodiac (aka Deflatable) will eventually look something like the photo below. I've seen this happen with every Zodiac that we used back when my friends and I used to cruise the islands. They are fantastic boats while they are holding up but it seems like after 5 or so years of moderate use the glue begins to desintegrate. Hopefully their quality has improved over the years but I wouldn't pass up a solid boat for another Deflatable :D.

20000017.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom