zip gloves.... safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerardnealon

Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking about going w/ DUI's new zip seals and wanted to purchased the zip gloves also. I understand some people feel the zip seal is another point of failure but it seems like people think they are strong and secure.

I was wondering what people thought of the strength of the zip gloves. Are they durable? I like to go diving for lobster and was nervous about grabbing one and punctureing. Also you never know how sharp some wrecks are. I guess this applies to all dry gloves. Thanks for any advice.

Gerard

The thing I don't like about those is that if you rip a glove, there's nothing to prevent water entering the suit, and that could be very uncomfortable. With separate seals and gloves, you can isolate your body from the hand.

jonnythan:
The thing I don't like about those is that if you rip a glove, there's nothing to prevent water entering the suit, and that could be very uncomfortable. With separate seals and gloves, you can isolate your body from the hand.

yea I can definitely understand that. I live in NY and dive year round so the water can get real cold. I guess if I knew the gloves were extra durable I would take the chance and be careful. I would also think that its easier to take the suit on and off w/o the latex on the wrists (especially if you take it on and off between dives when the latex is wet)

Thanks for the quick reply. I would be nice to hear some stories about ripped gloves and how it happened.

Gerard

I haven't ripped any gloves. I have a hard ring system on my drysuit and use super heavy duty blue gloves I buy for about $16/pair. I bet the DUI ones cost a lot more to replace, too.

jonnythan:
I haven't ripped any gloves. I have a hard ring system on my drysuit and use super heavy duty blue gloves I buy for about $16/pair. I bet the DUI ones cost a lot more to replace, too.

Replacing the DUI gloves will set you back $168.

Yeah.

jonnythan:
Replacing the DUI gloves will set you back $168.

Yeah.

wow, 16 bucks isnt bad at all. I know the DUI's are quite expensive. Do you know if the DUI gloves are just as strong as yours?

Gerard

They probably have the exact same construction. I got the Diving Concepts dryglove system installed on my suit for $150, and the DC brand gloevs they came with are exactly the same as the Atlas gloves. The blue Atlas glove seems to be the standard for drygloves, and they're quite tough.

If you go to nordic-blue.com you'll see the same pair of gloves being sold for $50/pair.

I've ripped several of the orange DUI gloves. If the zip gloves are the same materials No way I would buy them. Now if they would make a neoprene glove I would jump on them in a minute. At least with the ring system I can use chemical gloves from Home Depot.

Hall

The orange gloves are the thinner "max dexterity" gloves, and the blue ones are the heavy duty thick ones.

yea I was looking at the blue gloves. I didnt want to take a chance with the orange ones. Thanks for all the replies!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom