Zinc Gluconate for jellyfish' venom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I wonder if it's the zinc or the gluconate (which is rapidly metabolized in the liver) that is protective. If it's the zinc, maybe one could try zinc oxide ointment, which is the white lifeguard sunscreen stuff.

I wonder if it's the zinc or the gluconate (which is rapidly metabolized in the liver) that is protective. If it's the zinc, maybe one could try zinc oxide ointment, which is the white lifeguard sunscreen stuff.

Interesting question, and one that could also be asked about similar metallic salt compounds such as the frequent first line tx for hyperkalemia, calcium gluconate, and the range of metal salts that have been used in other antivenins.

Cheers,

DocV

---------- Post added September 12th, 2014 at 03:39 AM ----------

...using Zinc Gluconate ointment as an anti-venom against jellyfish' sting. I don't think it's available for purchase yet. But I'm just wondering if anyone has ever tried swallowing a couple of over-the-counter supplement pills (from Amazon, Walgreens,etc) before their dive and worked (or sort-of worked).

I do not believe that zinc gluconate is commercially available in an ointment preparation at this time

As for oral zinc gluconate use, IMHO this is ill-advised unless done at the direction of a physician. For starters, it can be hard on the GI tract.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom