Zero to Hero? The Good ole' Days? You can't please anyone!

Are you tired of threads about the good old days?

• Yes - The amount of beating this dead horse is ridiculous

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Yes - But the entertainment of a soap opera is addictive

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Yes - Wormil invades CD dreams and puts things in and around his mouth.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Yes - Thank God someone started a poll about this

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue with a "confident" person may be that they more easily get themselves in over their head, into a situation they dont have experience with.

Good point, but I think that there's a difference between confident and careless Nick. I agree that experience also builds confidence, but when things go bump in the night (all else being equal), a strong swimmer who's comfortable in the water has it heads and shoulders over the non-swimmer imo.

If you think you've taught, but they have not learned, have you, in fact, taught?

It's not that I think they did not learn, it's that I think some percentage will always not care about what I taught them, even though they did learn it. :idk:

I'm not quite sure why everybody thinks this is a dead horse being beaten. I don't think Cave Diver meant to start another thread about the "good old days". I think he meant to ask about the fundamental inconsistency between beating the "it was better when the courses included all of this" drum, and telling new divers they shouldn't do class after class in short order, despite the fact that the sum of the classes resembled the "old days" curriculum.

Exactly.

And for the record I did not add the poll. (although I did modify it after the fact) :wink:

nAnd for the record I did not add the poll. (although I did modify it after the fact) :wink:

I think we know who did. It must be great to be a Moderator and change the rules when it suits you... :wink:

Oh come on Wayne, don't be such a kill joy.

If CD didn't like the poll he could have deleted it. I just added it as a joke. Changing the rules would have been modifying your poll without your permission because you wouldn't have been able to change it back. And I didn't do that, now, did I? I asked your permission. You didn't give it and I left your poll the same even though my suggestion would have been a vast improvement.

It's humour, son, humour.

R..

If CD didn't like the poll he could have deleted it. I just added it as a joke. Changing the rules would have been modifying your poll without your permission because you wouldn't have been able to change it back. And I didn't do that, now, did I? I asked your permission. You didn't give it and I left your poll the same even though my suggestion would have been a vast improvement.

It's humour, son, humour.

R..

Well the changing poll choices have been such a source of constant information, I couldn't bring myself to deprive the users of it. :)

Good point, but I think that there's a difference between confident and careless Nick. I agree that experience also builds confidence, but when things go bump in the night (all else being equal), a strong swimmer who's comfortable in the water has it heads and shoulders over the non-swimmer imo.

I do agree with the first, and maybe with the second as some of the better divers I know are awesome swimmers

The kind of confidence I like I guess is more like "confidence/competence" and it's something that I think can more easily be seen, than described if you know what I mean.

Some people you just see in the water and say "Yah, I'd dive with this person" whereas others while good divers, I just dont get that feeling about sometimes, you know ?

With the exception of a few skills I've read about from way back-like breathing from the tank valve-- It seems there is a consensus that if you go all the way to Rescue Diver you're getting about the same training that OW used to be years ago. But many divers don't go beyond OW, and thus are ill equipped in some emergencies. Is that it in a nutshell?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom