Zebra Mussels confirmed in Lake Murray, Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's like this......
The Pessimist says the glass is 1/2 empty
The Optimist says the glass is 1/2 full
I say the glass needs a bit more Vodka

nah... the glass is engineered twice as big as its purpose... :wink:

Ya beat me to it. I teach a high school pre-engineering class, and I use this one all the time.

While the Pessimist and Optimist were arguing over the glass of water, the Opportunist drank it...

LOL, I've got to remember that one. :)

Kinda reminds me of this one....which I'm about to attach to my sig line:

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. " William Arthur Ward

They're all over the place now. From Marietta Landing pretty much everything that's rock or metal is covered with them now. Even a beer can I found laying in the silt had the top side covered in them. They don't appear to like fiberglass boat hulls that much. Vis is soooo much better than the last time I was there in September 2011. Also when I was there in 2011 my equipment reeked like it was dunked in a toilet. Now it comes out much cleaner in comparison. I didn't bother to soak it I just rinsed out my regs and let it all air dry. The zebra mussels are eating the nastiest junk out of the water I guess. If it really is inevitable that they will spread to all bodies of water eventually we may be able to dive most Texas lakes.

They are here and there is little we can do about it but let's make them wish they had never snuck into the country without a green card.
Has anybody cooked the little Zebra Mussels to see if they make a good soup stock or even a thin broth ?? :D
There has to be something we could use them for.

It's like this......
The Pessimist says the glass is 1/2 empty
The Optimist says the glass is 1/2 full
I say the glass needs a bit more Vodka

Timeliner
You always make me laugh .....:)
God bless your sense of humor

Dave

The Zebra mussels when introduced in the St. Lawrence and surrounding lakes had an explosive effect. They seemingly take over just about everything. After they filter all of the nutrients out of the water they begin to thin down in numbers to a more sustainable level. I have seen what they do first hand at the lake I live on and yes there is good and there is bad. The big problems now in the St. Lawrence now are the gobies. They were introduced a few years back and took over. It was amazing to drop down in 60' and at 30' the bottom seemed to be alive. They local fish did not at the time realize they were edible. That has since changed and I am seeing some change in both the numbers of gobies and the size of the local predators. Just like usual Momma Nature seems to make adjustments. Now if we could just convince the DEC to let us shoot Cormorants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom