Zeagle Scout BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamerson

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing my first BCD. One of the products I'm considering is the Zeagle Scout. Any thoughts? I don't need an extremely advanced bcd, as I'm just going to be diving single aluminum (maybe steel, also) tank (also, maybe with pony).

Is this bcd a good, quality buy or should I consider a model like the Stiletto, which would have to be ordered...

Thanks!

I used the Scout for class. It's a solid performer and will last while. No doubt a good buy at the price. The Stiletto would be my choice for one reason, the modular setup. The Stiletto uses a two piece construction. Harness and cumberbund are seperate pieces. This allows you to order it in different sizes. I have a Ranger with a XL shoulder and L waist. You pay once, so it's not like you have to order 2 to get the 2 different sized parts. If you can fit properly into the Scout, go for it. I think you'll get a better fit, nearly custom for you, by going with the Stiletto.

I have the women's version of the Stiletto (LaZer) and love the modular fit because I really needed different sizes for the waist and shoulders to get a great fit.

The major differences between the Scout and Stilleto are the weight placement and lift capacity. The Scout has much less lift (24 lbs vs. 35 lbs) and can only accommodate 20 lbs of weight, so if you think that in the future you may do some diving in colder water or wear a lot of exposure suit, you could run into issues with the weight capacity and lower lift. On the other hand, if you're just traveling to warm water destinations, the Scout should be fine and will be a little less bulky (although I find my LaZer fine for travel).

Either way, the Zeagles seem to be very well-made BCs.

The scout is an awesome piece (I owned one) however it is limited. It has only trim weight in the back, if you wear a belt then no worries. But it is limited in it's application (warm water only 24lbs lift). Scubatoys will put on a 35lb wing for you which you would need for steel but at that point you may want to consider a different model.

I have the concept 2 pro. As others have pointed out the modularity of the more expensive models pays for itself with more configuration options ie a backplate, a bigger wing or even doubles and infinite adjustments for fit. I would think it is better to spend a little more and have room to grow, I made that mistake and had to sell my sherwood bc which was a great unit but limited as far as options and future expansion was concerned. I can recommend the concept, ranger, brigade or tech. Try them on and see which feels best.
Good luck.
Jack.

Been diving a Scout for years (sold my Ranger). I have one of the older stripped down versions with no pockets and the weight system is a couple of pouches on beside the tank. In warm fresh water I dive it with no weights, 4 lbs in salt water and up to 10 lbs in the pockets when diving in a dry suit with another 10-12 lbs on a weightbelt. If you need more weight than 10 lbs I would recommend adding a weightbelt, more than that tends to turtle me. I like mine and have considered buying another as a spare......seems like every time I find something I really like and that works for me it's made "better" and rarely is. Bottom line, love mine, does everything I need and if it was stolen today, I would be on the phone ordering another one.

Thanks all, very helpful! I'm unclear on one thing, though. I won't be diving with two tanks, but would the Scout's lift capacity support 1 steel tank or 1 aluminum plus a pony, or even a steel w/ pony combo?

I'm more interested in being a diver than an anchor.. :)

I have a Scout and I'm really pleased with it. Mine is the later model with cummerbund and pockets, and it is made as a modular system. I find it hugely comfortable (minimalist) and, for what it's worth, it receives complements on the boat every time I put it on. As another poster said you could get it with a bigger wing. I have used it with AL72's and AL80's in the Caribbean with minimal thermal but also with a Steel 12 (Faber) and 10mm of neoprene in the UK. It was fine.

Back
Top Bottom