Zeagle Ripcord Weight System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the yellow weight pouches in my ranger. It's simply a matter of unzipping the pocket and pulling the pouch out to hand up to the boat. No issue what so ever. Again, if a person only wanted to ditch one weight, unzip the pocket and remove the pouch. Or only pull the cord halfway out, which would only drop one side. I like the system much better than the velcro weight pouches used on other systems.

When I dove integrated weights, it was with a Zeagle ripcord system. No problems at all, even when having to hand up weights when doffing in water for boat pickup. Just unzip and hand up the "yellow thingies."

I never had to worry about inadvertent loss of a weight pouch. Let me put it this way: I've frequently found integrated weight pouches on the bottom. None of them have ever been Zeagles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the system much better than the velcro weight pouches used on other systems.

I can understand that. I've never used a velcro-based integrated weight pouch system and would be hesitant to trust one to hold my weights on me.

Richard.

I've been diving a Zeagle Ranger for around 10 years and it's an outstanding BC. I think the ripcord system is a POSITIVE and one of the best systems on the market. The weights are loaded/unloaded through zippered pockets on both sides of the BC. It is extremely easy to add/remove weight from the pockets. You could adjust your weighting on a dive without issue. If you add the weight pouches (yellow thingies already mentioned) you can unzip, remove, and hand up your weight pouches very easily while in the water. The pockets are also pretty large/long allowing you to spread the weight out if you are caring a lot and giving you better control over it's placement.

The ripcord is intended for emergency use only and not as a means of normally loading/unloading the pockets. It's a very easy and simple system to explain to your dive buddy who may not be familiar with it. All he has to do is pull the red handle in an emergency. Couldn't be any simpler. You would also have to be very deliberate and intentional to pull it and dump the weights, making it safe. As far as practicing dumping goes, yes that is a pain. But how often are you actually doing that? Minor issue. If you are in a class where you need to do that often and don't want to re-thread it (which isn't a big deal by the way) then just use a weight belt for the class.

My only complaint with the Ranger is that the older ones can trap air in the bladder. It's not really an issue if you know how to deal with it and get all of the air out of it though. Zeagle fixed the issue by adding dump valves on the bottom of each side of the bladder. The older ones just had a dump valve on 1 side. Now if I could just get Zeagle to upgrade my bladder to include the 2nd dump. :)

I've been diving a Zeagle Ranger for around 10 years and it's an outstanding BC. I think the ripcord system is a POSITIVE and one of the best systems on the market. The weights are loaded/unloaded through zippered pockets on both sides of the BC. It is extremely easy to add/remove weight from the pockets. You could adjust your weighting on a dive without issue. If you add the weight pouches (yellow thingies already mentioned) you can unzip, remove, and hand up your weight pouches very easily while in the water. The pockets are also pretty large/long allowing you to spread the weight out if you are caring a lot and giving you better control over it's placement.

The ripcord is intended for emergency use only and not as a means of normally loading/unloading the pockets. It's a very easy and simple system to explain to your dive buddy who may not be familiar with it. All he has to do is pull the red handle in an emergency. Couldn't be any simpler. You would also have to be very deliberate and intentional to pull it and dump the weights, making it safe. As far as practicing dumping goes, yes that is a pain. But how often are you actually doing that? Minor issue. If you are in a class where you need to do that often and don't want to re-thread it (which isn't a big deal by the way) then just use a weight belt for the class.

My only complaint with the Ranger is that the older ones can trap air in the bladder. It's not really an issue if you know how to deal with it and get all of the air out of it though. Zeagle fixed the issue by adding dump valves on the bottom of each side of the bladder. The older ones just had a dump valve on 1 side. Now if I could just get Zeagle to upgrade my bladder to include the 2nd dump. :)

You betcha!I've talked to dive "pros" who don't like the Zeagle system cause they think you have to "pull the ripcord when getting on the boat". I used a Zeagle for years. Never had to pull the ripcord. In fact.. in 35 years I've never ditched weight. Another cool thing about the Zeagle system, you can unzip the pockets and remove (or add) weight as needed whenever.

Oh, BTW..If you are in deed "the" warhammer, I stand here with hat in hand.

You betcha!I've talked to dive "pros" who don't like the Zeagle system cause they think you have to "pull the ripcord when getting on the boat". I used a Zeagle for years. Never had to pull the ripcord. In fact.. in 35 years I've never ditched weight. Another cool thing about the Zeagle system, you can unzip the pockets and remove (or add) weight as needed whenever.

Oh, BTW..If you are in deed "the" warhammer, I stand here with hat in hand.

Take your hat off. :) Nice to see you back WH.

I also like being able to unzip the wt pockets and dump a weight or two, so it's not an all or nothing deal. It's also a good backup in the unlikely event the rip dump fails.

I've read reports of velcro systems releasing by accident, and I've seen an Aqualung weight snap get jammed by sand, while the rip-cord is pretty well foolproof.

Adam

My husband had a SeaQuest BC with a "surelock" weight system. He lost a weight pouch on a liveaboard which was $25 to replace and required he put his weights in a non-ditchable pocket to continue diving the rest of the week. He switched to a Zeagle BC when we got home so he never had to worry about losing weights at depth again.

On a 2 week liveaboard we did, we found 3 weight pockets, one belonging to someone on the boat. Velcro or clips, doesn't matter to me, I don't trust either of them to not malfunction. I'll stick with my Zeagle!

i have used zeagle tech for over 14 years of diving and have never lost a weight or had a problem with the system --this time represents close to 1000 dives on a zeagle
the weight system is foolproof and very easy to use
while zeagle is expensive the value for long use and durability is there --i sold my first tech this year and purchased another--

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom