Zeagle Ripcord Weight System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian2828

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a weight integrated BC and am interested in the Zeagle Stiletto. I like the features, but I'm not sure about the ripcord weight system. I searched for reviews of this BC and it looks like some have passed on this BC because of the ripcord system, but others describe it as the best weight integration system available. I'd appreciate thoughts on the pros/cons of the ripcord system.

Thanks

I've used my rip cord Zeagle Escape for years and never had a problem with it. I've never had to release it but it's simple and I can't see it failing. You can also just unzip the weight pocket and remove individual weights.

The one disadvantage is that it's problematic to practice releasing the system as it has to rethreaded afterwards.

Adam

The RED handle and webbing make me feel like
USN Commander Harmon Rabb Jnr, however
unlike he, I have never had to deploy any of
my systems ever

[video=youtube;km8j8DwjnCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=km8j8DwjnCc[/video]

[video=youtube;htvW9cJSKBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=htvW9cJSKBE[/video]

Nor have I had the pleasure of serving
with USMC Col Sarah MacKenzie

Last edited:
I dove a Ranger for a lot of years and never had an issue with the weight system except for one minor problem. You can not use small weights in it or they will slip through the spaces in the cord. This is an easy problem to solve by getting the optional weight bags (aka- yellow thingies). Using them eliminates that problem and make installing and removing the weights a lot easier at the same time, they are well worth the extra cost. As for restringing it, it's not a big deal to do, although I have never understood why anyone would want to practice dropping weights.....pull cord, weights fall out, got it...in all the years I dove the Ranger I never once dumped the weights. For that matter, I have never dumped weights in 20 years of diving. I have heard and seen a lot of weight systems accidently dump weights, often times losing the pocket in the process, which can be expensive to replace or worse no longer available. That is not going to be an issue with the Zeagle, the cord can't simple fall out as other weight systems do and it for some reason you do lose it, it is still being used so replacement cords are easy to come by. Worse case, you could make your own out of string trimmer cord.

Those who trash the Zeagle weight system have either never used one or have some other agenda.

I've used a Stiletto for 2 years,and a Concept 2 for 8 before that, and the ripcord weight system has not been a problem (Although the only time I "ditched" the weights was for practice). One thing: you need to remember to really pull the red handle a long way, because the cord has to clear both weight pockets, in order to release all of the weights.
The "yellow thingies are good for smaller weights, and to make insertion/removal easier.
The video posted by Knowone shows how relatively easy it is to rethread the ripcord. That video is also available on Zeagle's website.

I have no issues with the rip cord system on my new Zeagle Zena.

The thing is if I had figured a way to get down without weights tried volcanic rocks even too light without a potato sack full, for the first few dives then, and now I would never have had to buy weights even for ten divers with ten sets of gear each.

Ever wonder what happened to all those divers?

Lead wrecks stuff, so I got a sports bag and cut it up
and some No5 shot, I think and sealed it in some urethane
and revved up the sewing machine and stitched up some sacks

Back again.

View attachment 108207
View attachment 108207

Right pocket less for can light and stage
/pony
Can't remember the individual
weights, they only work in Europe and here

Last edited:
I've used a Zeagle with the ripcord system since 1993 and never has it been snagged, gotten in the way, or been accidentally pulled.
As Hatul pointed out it's difficult to practice releasing weights.
I have over 1200 dives on my Zeagle and have only pulled the ripcord a couple times to make sure I knew how to use it and to practice rethreading it.

I chose against it based on the following concerns (this was an issue when a Zeagle BCD was part of a package deal at Scuba Toys, & I had them substitute a Sherwood Avid when choosing the gear for a friend getting certified). I haven't used a Zeagle ripcord system. My concerns were:

1.) On a charter boat once, they had us hand up our weights, then haul out, then we put them back in. The quick release style that seems more mainstream simply seemed easier than rethreading a ripcord would be, from what I read, and I didn't want to bother with it.

2.) One feature of the ripcord system was the ability to yank the thing & ditch all your weights, kind of like a weight belt, if I understood correcting reading about it at the time. That left me wondering how easy it would be to ditch one weight pouch & keep the other, should I wish to do so to aid an ascent with less change of ascending too rapidly.

I've not trashed Zeagle's ripcord system nor have I dove one. I did wonder about these potential concerns when reading about them online. Your mileage may vary.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom