Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking at getting the Zeagle Ranger with Rip Cord Weight System. Would this be a good BCD for someone who dives within the rec limits but want to get into some deco diving later? Any comments on this BCD?

I can't speak for more advanced diving, but I own a Ranger, and it is a great BC. It is very adjustable, so you can personalize the fit better than most BCs I have seen. The wing can be removed/replaced, and it can accept a backplate if you want to move on to doubles at some point.
All that being said, you know you're going to be asked why you don't just get a BP/W right now?

I am looking at getting the Zeagle Ranger with Rip Cord Weight System. Would this be a good BCD for someone who dives within the rec limits but want to get into some deco diving later? Any comments on this BCD?

spend a little extra money and get the LTD, more D rings, the ability to add D rings. zipped attachment pouches. I dive the 09 LTD and it a fabulas BCD for all types of diving, it even has the abilty to mount doubles.

check out my friends over at zeagleexpress.com Gene will be able to hook you up.

I have had my Ranger for better than 300 dives without an issue and wouldn't think of getting another BC.

There are some things that I don't like. First, the shoulder straps are too flexible and could use a stiffener to make it easier to put on. Second, if you are demonstrating skills, it can be a pain to remove the weights with the BC on. Third, your pockets, located on the outside of your weight pockets, can also difficult to access (both are located too far to the rear for my taste). Fourth, it is a big and bulky BC that takes up a lot of space when you travel.

Here is what I like about it. It is built to last. All the seals and valves are easy to access and clean. The rip cord is easy to use, but a pain to rethread. The modular design makes it easy to replace a component that gets worn out (never has happened to me). There are many d rings for attachment points. The Ranger can be adjusted to fit a wide size range, especially in the waist.

I expect to get 10 more years out of my Ranger.

Edit, the Ranger has been out there for a long time. You can get a good used one for around $250.

I would agree with all the above post. I used a ranger until a few months ago. I drifted with the less-is-more crowd (BP/W), but the decision was based on personal preference (I dislike integrated weights and needed something smaller). Despite selling mine, I still think the Ranger is top shelf for a full sized, integrated weight BCD. Built like a tank and full of features. The only thing it is not good at is air travel due to the bulk.

...my very 1st BC was a Ranger....which I still have, it's still in very good condition, although admittedly that's partly due to the fact I retired it to my back-up/emergency reserve gear closet. The Ranger is a good, all-round, starter BC, and back when I was new diver...and didn't know what all I didn't know, it seemed like a good idea. If a new diver came up to me and asked for a solid, basic starter BC suggestion, I wouldn't have a problem suggesting the Ranger. That being said, don't look at the Ranger as a 'tech' BC......sure, on paper, you can tack on/modify/jury-rig techie bits/pieces onto it, so that on paper it kinda specs-out as a tech BC....but it's gonna be like putting an Indy-car engine in a '74 Ford Pinto and calling it a Ferrari !

I'm still not sure why so many new divers. many not even certified yet, are already planning to dive the Andrea Doria eventually.......there are about a bazillion things about diving you don't know and you may not even have the experience to realize the universe of things you don't know....my suggestion is to pick up a good used Ranger on E-Bay, dive it a while, get some experience, upgrade later......the vast majority of divers do this anyway.....you can't possibly know where you will be as a diver 5 years...10 years from now....don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good....go ahead, and get the Ranger now (used) (new ones are $ 700-ish) and get some diving experience and worry about later...later!

It took me a far amount of real world diving experience (not reading on the WWW) to REALLY understand what I wanted out of my dive gear.......which lead me to designing/building my own custom designed BC/wings. ......and now when I look back at my Ranger, compared to what I'm diving with now, I look back and ask myself....what the heck was I thinking back then? ....again, the benefit of hindsight.

......the Ranger is in no way/shape or form tech-suitable, IMHO.......the pockets are oddly shaped and very tiny, essentially useless......it's got a goofy optional 'saddle-strap' crotch strap, which is definitely NOT something you'll see on a tech set up.....D-rings fixed in place/can't customize them.....and something I really hate....it's D-rings pivot/swivel, I MUST have fixed 'bent-D-rings' that don't push/fold away when you try to clip off a light/gauge/etc........and try to mount a can light on a Ranger and see if you can find out how to do that! While I never had any problems with the Ranger weight system (at least it isn't based on velcro...anyone who designs a velcro based weight system into a BC should be SHOT!)...I'm still not crazy about the Ranger weight system....and if you shop across all the common tech brands...or recreational brands, for that matter, you'll find nobody else uses that weight system design.

Buy the Ranger now so you can just go diving and get needed experience...but don't expect to be able to use it in a 'tech' environment....'tech' instructors tend to be very strict about acceptable gear for their classes, and the Ranger won't cut it......it's a passable recreational BC...tons of recreational divers use them successfully...it's a mature,safe design.

Rangers are too big. Especially if you are diving a single tank. Go DIR now before you spend the money on a Ranger. If you want a single tank bc anyway, get a more compact Zeagle. The Escape is very compact, and more than adequate.

I have a 1.5 y/o Zeagle Brigade with a ranger blader, other than the Brigade and made in USA labels it is a Ranger. It has the crotch strap, yellow weight pocket things rear trim pockets and zipper mounts. I have switched to doubles and using a bp/w, I would say go with a bp/w to start with I wish I had now. If you would like a great deal on a rRanger pm me.

At this point in your diving I would not worry about the transition to more technical diving. I dove a Ranger for many years before I switched over to more the more technical side. My only nit with the Ranger is that it is a bit bulky when traveling and the bladder is a bit bigger than really needed. Otherwise, I think it is a top notch BCD - and Zeagle takes care of their customers.

That said many people do find the BP/W combo to be a great all round system. That is what I dive with now. I think Deep Sea Supply has the best selection when comes to BP/W.

I have the 09 LTD and love it, it feels very natural and it doesn't 'climb' up like other back-inflating BCs I've tried nor does it have the face down effect - maybe because of the good position of the trim weights.
I agree that the pockets are a bit back but I think it's for the best. The pockets are 'out of the way' until you need them.

Does any one have experience with the Ranger bladder on BP with dbls?

Back
Top Bottom