Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shallow Draft

Registered
Reaction score
I just picked up my new Ranger and in the process of pre dive asembly I have a question on mounting my tank.
What is the correct hight? The top band seems to want right near the the top and if I mount the tank any higher the tank seems to interfear with the inflation valve.
I suspect that this will sort itselfe out as soon as I get in the water but any opinions are wecome

I was told to slip the bands over the tank until the unit hung by its' handle over and at the base of the tank valve and then tighten the bands. Since that time I have moved it lower to adjust my trim.

You'll need to play around with it, in order to find out what's comfortable for you as far as height, balance, weight distribution, etc. I mount my tank a bit lower in order to distribute my weight properly according to my physiology.

Your trim/attitude is pretty dialed in too tiburon72157 ... you've invested a lot of time in getting your configuration squared away. Now how about finding us new buddies with less equipment troubles ... <j/k>.

yup...i've got a whole set of different weights to stuff in my pouches. depends on the dive conditions, how much pizza and beer i had the night before, how many peanut butter cups i have in my parka, size of the bugs i'm wrestling, etc. i'll be happy after tomorrow being able to remove my fins more quickly before the rocks get me.

that's the great thing about laguna, you go in with no surge, 2 foot ankle-biter swells, and pop out after the dive on the North Shore of Hawaii. I'm out of that surf with the scubapro jets and those spring straps so dang fast. It's so i can give myself more time to be entertained from the comforts of shore. But now that you'll have the same equipment, what shall I do to entertain myself? <j/k>

my sincere apologies to Shallow Draft for hijacking this thread, got carried away with myself. Back to your original issue, the double tank band Ranger does allow you to really dial in your trim in terms of tank position. it's partly a weight height thing, but has a lot to do with the center of gravity so differs between someone with a taller torso vs someone with longer legs. The best approach is having your buddy with you in a pool to help dial it in.

Shallow Draft:
I just picked up my new Ranger and in the process of pre dive asembly I have a question on mounting my tank.
What is the correct hight? The top band seems to want right near the the top and if I mount the tank any higher the tank seems to interfear with the inflation valve.
I suspect that this will sort itselfe out as soon as I get in the water but any opinions are wecome

You'll play around a bit with where the BC will set in relation to it's height on the tank. If you can't reach your 1st stage and valve move the BC down until you can. Once you can do this you need to work out your trim in the water. If you find yourself still a little heavy in the butt (feet dropping down) try moving the BC down just a bit more. Don't put the BC ridiculously low on the tank. If you reach a point where the BC has to be too low then just shift some weight out of the pockets into some of the Zeagle trim pockets or use some other method. You'll be trying to move a bit of weight a little northward from the weight pockets.

Once you've got that all dialed in then take the strap, put it around the neck of the tank and adjust it so it's snug. Now you have a permanent marker for where the BC should be on the tank. You can of course adjust it everytime you put it on the BC while you are dialing in the trim, this will provide you with a nice way to reference where it was when you go to put it on the next time, you just put it on make the appropriate adjustments to height and reset the strap length for the new height.

Kind of an ad-hock place to start might be something like: With the BC cinched on the tank, if you were to grab the top of the bladder (the piece that runs right behind your neck) and lift it up it should come up to about the middle (or slightly higher) of the tank valve. That just kinda gives you a place to start.

Your gonna dig your Ranger... congrats!

I hate it if my head can hit the valve, so I run the tank as low as possible. My top strap on the BC is grabbing the tank just as soon as it gets flat... just of the curve of the top of the tank.

I agree with Larry, keep the top band about an inch below where the crown of the tank flattens out. That'll keep the band from slipping up, and no head banging. I remove the carry strap, it just gets in the way.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom