Zeagle Ranger with Twin Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How difficult is this to set up?

I have two Worthington HP100's I would like to eventually use as a twin setup with Nitrox since a lot of the diving down here is in the 60ft range.

What materials are needed for mounting to my Ranger and does a type of manifold exist where I can easily disconnect the tanks and use them as singles again? Or do I definitely need both tanks dedicated for a twin-setup only?

Sorry if these questions were already answered in the other Twin Tanks thread at the top.

My buddy has the same setup and is interested in doing the same thing when he gets down to FL. I assume we'll do the non-isolated manifolded set up.

I currently dive with ZERO weight in salt water with a single Steel 100. With my 3mm full im nearly perfectly weighted. I use hardly any air in my BC to balance out. So little that I can't even use my dump valves to fine tune on the ranger because there isn't enough air pressure to release, just lets water in. Or am I doing something wrong? I have no issues descending. Will the 44lbs of lift on the Ranger be sufficient for these heavier tanks with a reasonable safety margin?

Majority of diving is done around Palm Beach with a moderate Gulf Stream current. Entry by boat with someone onboard following.

No, I've never done it.

does a type of manifold exist where I can easily disconnect the tanks and use them as singles again?
I once looked for something similar - with the added complexity that I wanted to travel with it. And be able to make up a dependent doubles setup (maybe with 63's) out of two standard yoke tanks rented on location. I found OMS travel bands that seem to work but never a modern manifold that had two yoke fittings.

There are some available in vintage diving - I bought one cheap on eBay - but both the tank spacing and the single yoke were designed for different gear than I have access to. My reg yoke bottomed out b4 it could seal correctly.

One time I did find a system - manufactured locally - that used two solid brass block yoke fittings interconnected by a short piece of braided steel line. It came in a small Pelican case and seemed to be what I was looking for. It was also about $500 IIRC.

My LDS mgr. - who was trying to sell me a standard set of doubles at the time - said it was a bad idea. But never really told me why. Moot point as they're no longer in business - so maybe he was right...:D

No, I've never done it.

I once looked for something similar - with the added complexity that I wanted to travel with it. And be able to make up a dependent doubles setup (maybe with 63's) out of two standard yoke tanks rented on location. I found OMS travel bands that seem to work but never a modern manifold that had two yoke fittings.

There are some available in vintage diving - I bought one cheap on eBay - but both the tank spacing and the single yoke were designed for different gear than I have access to. My reg yoke bottomed out b4 it could seal correctly.

One time I did find a system - manufactured locally - that used two solid brass block yoke fittings interconnected by a short piece of braided steel line. It came in a small Pelican case and seemed to be what I was looking for. It was also about $500 IIRC.

My LDS mgr. - who was trying to sell me a standard set of doubles at the time - said it was a bad idea. But never really told me why. Moot point as they're no longer in business - so maybe he was right...:D

Haha yeah I haven't had much luck, I''ll be curious to see if anyone on here has reason as to why it's a bad idea. The braided one sounds pricey for what it's worth.

I was hoping for something like this...(I know thats not its purpose)
Tank to Tank Equalizer DIN Style with Pressure Gauge

But with a steel crossover, not braided line. Something I can just screw into my banded DIN tanks to use as doubles, then just unscrew it and switch back to singles.

Maybe I'll just end up setting the 100s up as doubles and pick up a set of 130s some time in the future to dive single, or 120s. Only thing is I'm a small guy at 5'9" 160lbs.

Leave doubles as doubles, and singles as singles. There is only one system I've seen that would allow someone to have both manifolded doubles and singles in the same set of tanks. It involved H-Valves on both tanks, custom plumbing, and it was made for a rebreather system.

I personally keep doubles, and I keep singles, and don't worry about mixing and matching. Get some used tanks off craigslist for your singles, manifold and band your 100s, and enjoy.

Peace,
Greg

I personally keep doubles, and I keep singles, and don't worry about mixing and matching. Get some used tanks off craigslist for your singles, manifold and band your 100s, and enjoy.

+1

Where are ways of making and a role for flexible manifolds. To avoid properly doubling up tanks is not one of them.

I don't know what "proper" is in regards to doubling tanks but look at the Z system UTD is putting out for sidemount. It has a gas block that accepts two inputs.

How difficult is this to set up?

I have two Worthington HP100's I would like to eventually use as a twin setup with Nitrox since a lot of the diving down here is in the 60ft range.

What materials are needed for mounting to my Ranger and does a type of manifold exist where I can easily disconnect the tanks and use them as singles again? Or do I definitely need both tanks dedicated for a twin-setup only?

Sorry if these questions were already answered in the other Twin Tanks thread at the top.

My buddy has the same setup and is interested in doing the same thing when he gets down to FL. I assume we'll do the non-isolated manifolded set up.

I currently dive with ZERO weight in salt water with a single Steel 100. With my 3mm full im nearly perfectly weighted. I use hardly any air in my BC to balance out. So little that I can't even use my dump valves to fine tune on the ranger because there isn't enough air pressure to release, just lets water in. Or am I doing something wrong? I have no issues descending. Will the 44lbs of lift on the Ranger be sufficient for these heavier tanks with a reasonable safety margin?

Majority of diving is done around Palm Beach with a moderate Gulf Stream current. Entry by boat with someone onboard following.

I have at least 10 guys in my dive shop that use a zeagle Ranger or Tech and go back and forth between single and doubles. Some with 1000s of dives.

I have asked on here and gotten some uneducated responses.

If you Mount a backplate on the back of a Ranger (it has 11" on center grommets so any standard plate will fit) - basically its a backplate and 44 lb wing (with the dreaded padding and D rings that the BP/W crowd thinks are evil) . Remove the backplate, reinstall the tank straps and now dive singles.

My decision is Ranger or Tech - do I need the 65 lbs of lift or not - I already have a Ranger LTD and might sell it for a tech - but might keep it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom