Zeagle Ranger LTD vs Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also own a Ranger, according to the safety instructions the largest tanks it will hold for in it's original state is double steel 19Liters. I think only the double 19's weigh about 80kg's.

i bought a 2008 ranger with the zipper attachment for my 13cf pony.

later in the year ill buy a bp/w for use with doubles and just keep two seperate rigs

brett

Hello!

This is my first thread. I used the search feature but never really found the answers i was looking for there so I thought I would ask the masses! There were a couple other threads with the same type questions but I thought I would try and gather some more info!

Im looking to buy a new BC. I bought a mares dragon and after a couple dives I dont really care for it. I also want to get into diving with doubles every once in a while. I have narrowed my search down to the Zeagle Ranger LTD 2008 for $399 price matched or the Dive Rite Transpac with Rec Wing $525 package deal.

What I would like is:

occassion use of double AL80s
Simple design that is rugged.
Nothing to expensive, but within reason for an active diver working towards a dive master cert and interested in light tech diving

The website for the dive rite is diveriteexpress.com, but it wont allow me to post the url due to my lack of 5 prior posts. Under the BC tab it is the package option. Im curious what else I will need to order. So I still need a back plate? What other accecories will I need to complete the BC?

Thanks and any feedback is appreciated.

brett

Im still pondering this question before I submit. If I bought the ranger and a back plate would I be alright for an occassional doubles dive? What type of back plate would youll recommed?

thanks again

Transpac would allow you to transition to double tanks setup if looking to go that route. Not familiar with the other BC.

Conversion BCD's are a great concept, unfortunately thats all they are. They are not a good solution for tech diving. With all due respect, this game costs money. Without the proper gear, you complicate the dives, and minimize your enjoyment as well as your skill as a technical diver.

What is light Tech?

Shallow tech diving is still tech diving.

Conversion BCD's are a great concept, unfortunately thats all they are. They are not a good solution for tech diving. With all due respect, this game costs money. Without the proper gear, you complicate the dives, and minimize your enjoyment as well as your skill as a technical diver.

What is light Tech?

Shallow tech diving is still tech diving.

what would be wrong with a transpac with a plate?

If i was going to spend $500 for a system just for diving doubles what would you recommend? I already have the ranger but just ordered a dry suit and might want something else to use for doubles, but also have something for singles. what size of a wing also?

brett

I have dove my Zeagle BC for about two years and love it... for rec diving its been my favorite BC. Fits well, great adjustment, enough attachment rings, etc. A great rec B/C (by that I mean warm water, light protection suit, Al80's recreational NDL diving.)

Now having said that this year I've taken up learning tech diving with plans of having the ability to extend my depth and/or time as well as get into more options for wreck and cave diving.

With everything else going on in tech... having the cleanest, most streamlined rig seems best, specifically a B/P and the ability to full adjust where your rings sit both up and down your chest as well as horizontally so you can get the best balanced configuration for everything your clipping on. This is what makes a basic, straighforward harness so much more versatile... it allows you to micro adjust your fit in ways a rec B/C can't. Also, the full backplate handles, IMHO, twin tanks much better. I just feel more secure and comfortable in the B/P Wing than Zeagel when in dry suit and twins.

Note, I opted for the TransPlate not TransPac, since this is a true B/P. The Transpak won't actually take a full normal steel B/P, instead using adapters (see their website). In my judgement the TransPak is trying to be two things... and is overbuilt for tech - xtra padding you don't need (read: extra bouyancy), not as much adjustment ability as a B/P & wing config, unnecessary weight pockets, and so on. Just not as streamlined as a B/P & wing.

So I'm now diving the Dive Rite TransPlate for doubles and the Zeagle for Singles... though each dive in the singles/Zeagle I'm leaning more and more to moving full time to just the Tranplate (main thing holding me back is having to add weight packs to the TransPlate for dicing AL80's. With twins adding weight isn't an issue. Its not that I don't like the Zeagle - I do - I'm just keep finding myself appreciating having a single config to practice with, always having the clips, adjustments and various nuances in the same place. There is enough going on the twin tanks and bottles and dry suit etc. to relish having as much consistency as I can find between tech and rec dives.

The more I do it the more I am thinking it makes sense to treat every dive as a 'tech' dive and approach it with the appropriate and consistent level of planning and execution - including thinking through your gear config (take only what you need), plan your dive/dive your plan, air management (appropriate tanks, air mix, etc), profile, weighting, and so on - but that's another thread.

I use the RecWing with twins and find it fine.

My two cents for what its worth...

I have dove my Zeagle BC for about two years and love it... for rec diving its been my favorite BC. Fits well, great adjustment, enough attachment rings, etc. A great rec B/C (by that I mean warm water, light protection suit, Al80's recreational NDL diving.)

Now having said that this year I've taken up learning tech diving with plans of having the ability to extend my depth and/or time as well as get into more options for wreck and cave diving.

With everything else going on in tech... having the cleanest, most streamlined rig seems best, specifically a B/P and the ability to full adjust where your rings sit both up and down your chest as well as horizontally so you can get the best balanced configuration for everything your clipping on. This is what makes a basic, straighforward harness so much more versatile... it allows you to micro adjust your fit in ways a rec B/C can't. Also, the full backplate handles, IMHO, twin tanks much better. I just feel more secure and comfortable in the B/P Wing than Zeagel when in dry suit and twins.

Note, I opted for the TransPlate not TransPac, since this is a true B/P. The Transpak won't actually take a full normal steel B/P, instead using adapters (see their website). In my judgement the TransPak is trying to be two things... and is overbuilt for tech - xtra padding you don't need (read: extra bouyancy), not as much adjustment ability as a B/P & wing config, unnecessary weight pockets, and so on. Just not as streamlined as a B/P & wing.

So I'm now diving the Dive Rite TransPlate for doubles and the Zeagle for Singles... though each dive in the singles/Zeagle I'm leaning more and more to moving full time to just the Tranplate (main thing holding me back is having to add weight packs to the TransPlate for dicing AL80's. With twins adding weight isn't an issue. Its not that I don't like the Zeagle - I do - I'm just keep finding myself appreciating having a single config to practice with, always having the clips, adjustments and various nuances in the same place. There is enough going on the twin tanks and bottles and dry suit etc. to relish having as much consistency as I can find between tech and rec dives.

The more I do it the more I am thinking it makes sense to treat every dive as a 'tech' dive and approach it with the appropriate and consistent level of planning and execution - including thinking through your gear config (take only what you need), plan your dive/dive your plan, air management (appropriate tanks, air mix, etc), profile, weighting, and so on - but that's another thread.

I use the RecWing with twins and find it fine.

My two cents for what its worth...

thank you for this post. it was very helpful and i appreciate that!

it answered alot of my questions

brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom