Zeagle Ranger LTD vs Dive Rite Transpac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rustyshakelford

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first thread. I used the search feature but never really found the answers i was looking for there so I thought I would ask the masses! There were a couple other threads with the same type questions but I thought I would try and gather some more info!

Im looking to buy a new BC. I bought a mares dragon and after a couple dives I dont really care for it. I also want to get into diving with doubles every once in a while. I have narrowed my search down to the Zeagle Ranger LTD 2008 for $399 price matched or the Dive Rite Transpac with Rec Wing $525 package deal.

What I would like is:

occassion use of double AL80s
Simple design that is rugged.
Nothing to expensive, but within reason for an active diver working towards a dive master cert and interested in light tech diving

The website for the dive rite is diveriteexpress.com, but it wont allow me to post the url due to my lack of 5 prior posts. Under the BC tab it is the package option. Im curious what else I will need to order. So I still need a back plate? What other accecories will I need to complete the BC?

Thanks and any feedback is appreciated.

brett

Im still pondering this question before I submit. If I bought the ranger and a back plate would I be alright for an occassional doubles dive? What type of back plate would youll recommed?

thanks again

Im looking to buy a new BC. I bought a mares dragon and after a couple dives I dont really care for it. I also want to get into diving with doubles every once in a while. I have narrowed my search down to the Zeagle Ranger LTD 2008 for $399 price matched or the Dive Rite Transpac with Rec Wing $525 package deal.

What I would like is:

occassion use of double AL80s
Simple design that is rugged.
Nothing to expensive, but within reason for an active diver working towards a dive master cert and interested in light tech diving

I don't know anything about the Zeagle, but I bought a Dive Rite Transpac two years ago and it's still in my basement. Here is my own meagre experience:
  1. When I bought it, they had a TransPac + Rec Wing special, but the LDS asked me if I ever planned to dive cold water. "Yes," I replied. They steered me away from the Rec Wing and sold me on an upgrade to the Venture Wing, saying the Rec Wing only had enough lift for an AL80 with a normal wet suit. With a dry suit, steel tanks, and/or several heavy wet suit layers, they felt the Rec Wing would not have enough lift to handle the weights I might carry.
  2. Both the Rec Wing and the Venture Wing are designed for single tanks. For doubles, you will need a wider wing that can curl around the tanks. You may also need more lift if you ware working with sizable tanks or steelies. OTOH, if you start with a double wing, you will find it "tacos" with a single and it will be difficult to control its buoyancy.
  3. Obvious inference from previous statement: You will need separate wings for singles and doubles. That being said, some people believe that with bungee cords and other tricks, one wing can work for both singles and doubles. This belief seems to divide tech divers into two irreconcilable tribes. I will not argue one way or the other, but I will say that neither the Rec Wing nor the Venture wing work with doubles, IMO.
  4. You mentioned reliability. The TransPac has plastic buckles and other doo-hickeys that represent potential failure points. People who take reliability seriously prefer simple back plates with webbing and a single, S/S waist buckle. Ask yourself how you would feel if a tank fell on your harness and cracked a buckle... and you discovered this at 110'. I was able to sleep comfortably diving the Transpac, so I am obviously not that hard core. But I will say that since switching to a back plate, I have learned to appreciate the simplicity of having fewer doo hickeys, and it doesn't hurt to have a S/S buckle.
  5. I now dive a back plate but I kept the Venture Wing. It works just fine for me, although the 16" inflator hose is a little long now that I am nealy always horiztontal. This can be replaced, Dive Rite sell shorter hoses.
Best of luck!

thanks for the reply. I have pretty much sold myself on the ranger ltd though. I think it should fit what I want to do fairly well and they have nothing but great reviews!

brett

I have the Ranger LTD and it is one of he most comfortable BCs I have worn. I am not sure about the older models, but the 09 model is set up to be able to adapt to doubles in the matter of a couple of minutes. I think it is a good BC to bridge the gap between recreational and tec, but I still would not classify it as a tec rig.

At that price, I think you are getting a good BC that you will be happy with and their tech support has been outstanding.

Im looking to buy a new BC. ... I also want to get into diving with doubles every once in a while. I have narrowed my search down to the Zeagle Ranger LTD 2008 for $399 price matched or the Dive Rite Transpac with Rec Wing $525 package deal. What I would like is: occassion use of double AL80s ... Simple design that is rugged. ... Nothing to expensive, but within reason for an active diver working towards a dive master cert and interested in light tech diving
Perhaps, a logical question that arises is, 'Why not just buy a backplate and harness to begin with?' I own a Ranger, and have dove the TransPac a number of times. I also own a Rec wing. For singles diving, I use a SS BP, with a Rec wing. For doubles, I generally use a different wing, but I have used the Rec for double steel 120s without a problem. With 51 lbs of lift, it accomodates my double 80s just fine, and works with my 120s in salt water. As Reg mentioned, there are two schools of thought on the Rec Wing. While I fully agree with that it is neither a perfect singles wing nor a perfect doubles wing, in my experience it can work for either. I would not go the Ranger route. Great BC, comfortable, etc, but a simple BP/W is easier to deal with. I would not go the TransPac route. If you want something beyond a simple web harness, consider the TransPlate. If cost is an issue, consider used equipment (eBay, Craigslist), and you will probably end up with a functiuonal rig for less than even the $399 you mention for the Ranger.

Ok. thanks for all the replys. I have come to a conclusion on what I want to do. Im going to order a 2008 Ranger LTD with a SS backplate. I think this will an optimal set up for what im wanting to do. I will probably order a bp/w in the future if i decide to take it to the next level.

thanks again

brett

1. When I bought it, they had a TransPac + Rec Wing special, but the LDS asked me if I ever planned to dive cold water. "Yes," I replied. They steered me away from the Rec Wing and sold me on an upgrade to the Venture Wing, saying the Rec Wing only had enough lift for an AL80 with a normal wet suit. With a dry suit, steel tanks, and/or several heavy wet suit layers, they felt the Rec Wing would not have enough lift to handle the weights I might carry.

1. Sorry but this is rubbish. A rec wing has 50lb of lift & is a single/doubles wing. Not my cup of tea but more than enough for most any single rig with most any exposure suit.

[*]Both the Rec Wing and the Venture Wing are designed for single tanks. For doubles, you will need a wider wing that can curl around the tanks. You may also need more lift if you ware working with sizable tanks or steelies.

Sorry, more rubbish.

[*] I will say that neither the Rec Wing nor ......... work with doubles, IMO.

Still the same rubbish.

[*]You mentioned reliability. The TransPac has plastic buckles and other doo-hickeys that represent potential failure points. People who take reliability seriously prefer simple back plates with webbing and a single, S/S waist buckle. Ask yourself how you would feel if a tank fell on your harness and cracked a buckle... and you discovered this at 110'. I was able to sleep comfortably diving the Transpac, so I am obviously not that hard core. But I will say that since switching to a back plate, I have learned to appreciate the simplicity of having fewer doo hickeys, and it doesn't hurt to have a S/S buckle.

Might not be rubbish but sure sounds like the repetition of someone else's opinion. Sold mine after 6 years of use in almost as new condition & not a moment of unreliability in that time.

[*]I now dive a back plate but I kept the Venture Wing. It works just fine for me, although the 16" inflator hose is a little long now that I am nealy always horiztontal. This can be replaced, Dive Rite sell shorter hoses.

Glad you like it.

I would consider DeepSeaSupply's (DSS for short) BP/W setup. After doing a ton of research and coming up with the two you picked on my list as well as DSS, the DSS looks like one of the better setups out there and will offer you long term flexibility. Its price will likely be around $500 maybe a bit more of less depending on options.

Just a suggestion.

You dont use a backplate with a ranger....

I own a ranger, a trans plate and a trans pac that the wife dives. The trans pack is my favorite of all of them. I dive the plate the most of the time since the pac is hers, but have dove both and have no idea what the people who say it is not as stable as a plate are talking about. If you use the stabilizing plates like you are supposed to its just as good in my opinion. She uses a trek wing with primarily double lp85s and its adequite, also works pretty well with single tanks. This is the wing I would suggest for your case. I use a rec wing for double LP108s. Honestly its not enough lift - its almost fully inflated at depth. It works with single tanks but not nearly as well as hers. It would work best for lighter double tanks. The plastic buckle argument is just dumb if you ask me. Sure if you drop a tank on them they might break, so would your mask or your reg. Answer is dont drop your tank on them and like you should do to ALL of your gear check it before the dive. Would you jump in the water without checking if your reg was working or your air was on? The ranger is a great BC but now is in my dads closet. The transpac is more comfortable, more versatile and feels less bulky in the water. Its also much heavier duty - much better for doubles. Go with either the transpac or a bp/w of some type.

Sorry but this is rubbish. A rec wing has 50lb of lift & is a single/doubles wing. Not my cup of tea but more than enough for most any single rig with most any exposure suit.

You are perfectly correct, I was confusing the Rec Wing with the Travel Wing, must have had a brain cramp :shakehead: The LDS were actually steering me away from the Travel Wing toward the Venture Wing for diving dry. So... my remarks apply to the Travel Wing vs. the Venture Wing, which don't really apply to considering a Rec Wing. Sorry!

The plastic buckle argument is just dumb if you ask me. Sure if you drop a tank on them they might break, so would your mask or your reg.

If you have a choice between steel and plastic, is there a time when you would prefer plastic? Perhaps a reg or mask is fragile, but surely this is not an argument that everything you own should be equally fragile?

Masks are plastic because plastic has properties that are inherently valuable for masks. Regulators are made as robustly as possible given the limitations of the mechanism inside. Most divers up here eschew plastic clips for gear in favour of S/S bolt snaps. So why not use S/S buckles given that plastic has no advantages over steel for holding webbing together?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom