Zeagle Ranger Dump Valve leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TimZepplin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Zeagle Ranger BCD (bought new in '04 and been used regularly since then) that seems to have developed a leak from one of the bottom dump valves. I dove yesterday and when cleaning my gear, I noticed I had an usual amt of water in my bladder but didn't think too much of it cause we'd surfaced and descended three times so I'd dumped my bladder a number of times. When reinflating my bladder after flushing them out, I noticed one of the bottom dumps was leaking air. I tightened it down and it still leaked; I took it off and made sure everything was ok and there aren't any obstructions or visible defects that should allow it to leak. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to stop leaking and it's not getting any better. After all the tweaking and inflating I realized even with only a moderate amt of air in the bladder, I can squeeze it and it'll leak out. I'm pretty sure all the water in my bladder was from it leaking when I was at the surface as I remember having to add air multiple times while floating when I've never had to do that before.

I'm wondering if the spring has maybe worn out after all these years and I just need to get a new valve. I don't use them very much any more (I'm dry suit diving now & dump the air from the shoulder valve on the way down and don't touch the BCD controls till I'm on the surface again and thats only to inflate and float) so I'm not sure why it'd die now (worked perfectly fine on my last dive as far as I can remember) and the spring seems to have the same resistance as the other side. I've got them off now so all the surfaces and bladder can dry out fully.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about what I could do to get it stop leaking?

Definitely time to replace all the springs. Even if they look good, it is time. You can check if it is the spring.. remove the cover and the spring. Press on the seat with your fingers holding it tightly. Then inflate. If that stops the dribbling leak, then this is a pretty good sign the spring is tired.

I would probably replace the spring and the gasket as the rubber has probably hardened.

I got a chance to work on my BCD today and after pulling the bladder out, I discovered the base of the threaded insert that the vent screws into is cracked and that's where the air is leaking from - see pix below. I'm assuming something got dropped on my rig and cracked the base and it finally gave out.

Does anyone know if I could get some epoxy to fix the crack or if it's toast and I'll be buying a new bladder? I'm realllllly hoping it can be fixed as I don't have the extra coin laying around to buy a new bladder - 2nd baby coming inside of a month and all.
20180609_211755.jpg

20180609_211701.jpg

The ones I've messed with consisted of an inside and outside peice screwed/NOT glued together. See if you can get the 2 piece replecement flange before taking out the broken one (it may be reverse-threaded) so it will be obvious how to remove it.

185-004__17211.1482177399.500.750.jpg

• 185-004__17211.1482177399.60.90.jpg

This one is $11.99 from http://www.northeastscubasupply.com
Dump Valve Complete
$11.99

IcoRating5.png
1 product review
SKU:
185-004
Weight:
0.30 LBS
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout
Quantity:
Dump Valve Complete
$11.99

IcoRating5.png
1 product review
SKU:
185-004
Weight:
0.30 LBS
Shipping:
Calculated at checkout
Quantity:

If you want Zeagle-specific,

zeagleexpress.com is really friendly and helpful. I would probably just buy the same pre-20014 one from them just for the free Zeagle specific advice re getting out the old one

Zeagle Over Pressure Valve

SKU: 111-8000P$16.95
Style and Model

- Select Style and Model - Old Style Pre-2014 OPV New Style Post-2014 OPV LTD Shoulder Old Style Pre-2014 OPV 23" Pull Chord LTD Shoulder New Style Post-2014 23" Pull Chord​
Quantity​
Over Pressure Valve (OPV) Used as the rear dump on most BCD's or as a Right Hand Second Shoulder dump valve on BCD's like the Zeagle Ranger LTD.....Please Note that pre and post 2014 bladder have different thread patterns, please confirm correctness before placing order. Old Style Shown
Category:BCD Components, Service Kits and Replacement Parts

Last edited:
I thought for sure it was a single piece glued into the bladder but now I'll have to check it out and see if it's in fact a two piece assembly. Do you know if I can get just the bladder inset? The vent and pull cord assembly are just fine so I dont need the whole kit but just the base.

Do you know if I can get just the bladder inset? The vent and pull cord assembly are just fine so I dont need the whole kit but just the base.

You might be able to get it from Huish, the new owner, for 75 bucks............after Hell is completely frozen over.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom