zeagle range octo remove and install?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an 05 zeagle ranger that is used and a 99 that is new. The 99 has the octo+ on it. I want to take the octo off of it and put it on the 05 model. Can I do this myself or does it need to be done by a service center? Is the octo from the 99 model the exact same one as is sold today? Can someone provide me with some steps as to how this is done or direct me to where I can find it. My reason for doing so is because I want to keep the octo for the used ranger and sell the one that has never been in the water. I also have the warranty on the new one but the old one was bought off ebay so I don't have it.

ok that works too...then how do I do that? I don't have it in front of me right now and I am new to scuba and never used the bc yet so sorry if this is a very stupid question. Does that entire corrugated tube detach from the back? It also serves as a dump valve.

Its actually pretty simple to do the following are the steps I would use

1) Cut the tie wrap that is holding the octo+ to the hose, then pull the octo off the corrugated hose(Be careful as there is a wire connected to both the octo and the upper dump valve as well there may be some glue used to hold it in place just use casution when removing it)

2) Inside the octo you should see a bar holding the wire in place on the side if the assembly there's a hole were the bar goes through simply push the bar out of the way so you can slip the wire off.

Now the Octo should be seperated

Now you will want to install the new octo simply buy putting the wire back through the bar inserting the octo back onto the corrugated hose (make sure the connection and the mouthpeice are facing the correct way)

After alll that is done put a zip tie or 2 on there ( i like to use 2). After that ensure your inflator works as well as your dumping of air and your pull dump.

Hope this Helps

Alex

Thanks, I will try that. Anyone know if the octo+ has changed since 99? Is there a way to tell by model numbers on it (if indeed they are written on it - again not in front of me to see)?
I was kinda suprised this thing didn't change much at all in 6 yrs especially since it is so highly regarded. I only saw 2 d rings and a roll pocket in difference. The roll pocket missing seems to be a change for the worse.
Although, if it was so far ahead of its time maybe they figure why change a good thing. Perhaps it is like my dual sport dirt bike (honda xr650L) which has been the same since 1993 even though the rest change every couple years.

What I was suggesting was to simply unscrew both of the the inflator hoses from the bladders and swap them. The hose should easily unscrew from the bladder at the shoulder dump. If they are both Zeagle Ranger bladders they most likely will interchange with no problems.
Scott Zeagle should show up pretty soon and answer you model questions.

Dirt Rider,

You should be able to unscrew the entire airway with the Octo + and move it to the other BC. I do that all the time, however the look of the 2005 airway at the conection has a more rounded look to it now, so you may want to move the Octo + from the end of the hose instead. It's not that tough to do.

The Octo + MKII has remained the same for about 8 to 10 years or so, but regulators that sit for a long time often need service, used or not. You'll find out when you hook it up.

Chad

That was so simple I almost regret asking :D

I did notice the difference in the nut or whatever you want to call it so I may just switch the octo over to keep things consistent. I had no idea the whole unit was a completely independent unit.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom