Zeagle Compass Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Both my husband and I both have Zeagle SPGs with integrated compasses. As it turns out, the compass has a pretty fragile plastic bezel, and broke off my husband's compass after only about a year of use. We're not actually sure how it happened, most likely it broke on a boat deck, but we can't say for sure because we didn't actually notice when/how it broke.

Anyway, we took it into the dive shop and they have been trying for the past several months to get a replacement bezel from Zeagle, but apparently they didn't hear back from Zeagle. After a follow-up phone call today (we're leaving on a dive trip to south Florida shortly), we learned that Zeagle no longer sells the ~$3 replacement part and now you have to buy an entirely new compass instead. This seems like a lame way to make the customer buy more new gear when a simple and inexpensive part could resolve the problem.

I guess there's nothing to be done but suck it up and buy a new compass, but I somehow felt the need to express my disappointment in the quality of the product (the bezel could definitely be constructed out of more heavy-duty material) and the fact that the replacement part is no longer made available. I've been a big fan of Zeagle and dive one of their BCs, which I've been very happy with, but this experience of not being able to fix broken gear is a bummer and might make me rethink future gear purchases from Zeagle.

You can rethink it many times but at the end you will find out that they all use plastics nowadays so if you buy another brand it will still have plastic bezel that can easily break :)

Several months sound very strange as I was usually getting the questions answered by Zeagle within a day and I was getting some tools that I needed urgently from them through a store here within a week

Yes, Hatul, that's the one.

Elan, I didn't make the order/calls, so I can't say for sure whether the delay came from Zeagle, our dive shop, or both, so that's not really the issue.

I understand that things get made out of plastic to keep the cost/weight down, but what is disappointing is that given things ARE made out of cheesy plastic and hence likely to break, why discontinue offering the inexpensive replacement part?

Once again, I am coming into this "after-the-fact" but all I know about is the phone call we recieved yesterday.

The problem here is, the bezel is glued to the body of the compass. They are made that way in Italy, and that is exactly how we recieve them. We have never sold the bezel as a seperate unit, as far as I know.

That being said, I do have a few of the bezels here that are not glued on, and I would be happy to send you one if you want to try and remove the old one and glue this new one on...just let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

I understand that things get made out of plastic to keep the cost/weight down, but what is disappointing is that given things ARE made out of cheesy plastic and hence likely to break, why discontinue offering the inexpensive replacement part?

We sell a good number of these units, but I have heard of very few with the issue you have. If someone drops and scuba tank, runs over it with a car, or steps on almost any plastic part, it is prone to breaking! Not that you did one of those things, but accidents do happen and things break. I apologize for your inconvenience, but now that I have actually heard about your issue, I will try to help...

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the prompt response, and the offer to help. This certainly restores my loyalty to Zeagle. Although I'm still not sure I'm impressed with the compass materials, I am impressed with the Zeagle response and committment to making things right!

Thanks also for the explanation of the issue. Having assumed that Zeagle actually made the compass (and hence should have the part) was my mistake. In any case, I would like to try to replace the bezel and will send you a PM.

cheers,
Potato Cod

Back
Top Bottom