Zeagle/Apeks Tech 50D paperweight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Truth

New
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there to see if my trusty teck 50D is actually a paperweight:

I had an issue with the high pressure seat intermittently leaking air for a while causing my second stages to "pop" underwater. I had the 1st stage serviced and it seemed to dive fine for a couple months (I work on a diveboat and dive at least a few times a week) then the first stage held wide open (treaming high pressure air through the second stages) upon jumping off the boat and had it serviced again.

The shop said the first stage is not serviceable anymore because some parts are worn that cannot be replaced. Is this true or is there another route I could go down to fix this issue?

I have owned the reg for almost 10 years now and it probably has at least a thousand dives on it so I am happy to buy another but, as you all may know.....your boat crew makes a whole lot less than most of our passengers and regulators aint cheap.

Thanks,
KG

The Tech 50D is an Apeks DST 1st stage and the cone in the body of the reg that the HP valve seats against is probably worn or scratched. If that is the case then the reg is probably toast unless someone is able to resurface the cone as it is machined into the body.

Someone else may have another idea on the problem and a solution.

Just to add to claymores post, if the crown is damaged it will be a paper weight but it would certainly be worth attempting a fix. I've read that the eraser used for pen ink has worked for some folk. Certainly worth a go assuming that is the issue, you've nothing to lose.

I would ask the question on the Zeagle forum and see what Jeff has to say.

If you can get at the crown (orifice) you can try micro mesh. Some DIYers have used it with success on Scubapro pistons.

If you have the Zeagle / Apeks Tech-50D then your regulator is about 15 years old. Zeagle switched over to their own designs in 2000 or so. Once the switch was made Zeagle stopped supporting them because or Aqualung's reluctance to sell parts. Zeagle offers a trade-in program on these old regulators.

Personally, I would either purchase another first stage or buy a one of those Hollis close-outs for $200.

Apeks DST's valve body(AP1480F) is available at scubaspares for EUR 47.00.
I have a similar problem with my DST and the pencil eraser trick seems to work, so far so good. Not sure for how long though and I have to keep checking the IP frequently.
Should have this ARCAP in every Apeks 1st stage!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom