Zak Jones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7
ScubaBoard Veteran,

Hi, I am Zak's Uncle, best friend and dive buddy of about 100 dives. You seem to be carrying some anger about the reporting of this terrible event.
I can tell you that zak allways did the safest thing he could when doing a dive. We must also understand that his dive buddy on this dive had to make some VERY hard choices when he went to help Zak. My heart goes out to him, and I thank him for bringing my family and buddy back. You and I both know that there will be many people that do not understand the dive industry. (there are no lines on tanks and you don't deflate the BCD )I ask you to just let the stupid stuff go and know in your heart and mind that we will get out the correct information.
This is not a half hour TV program.... The investagation will take time, it is well underway. Thank you for your thoughts and take care UN (uncle Norm)

Scuba UN:
caveseeker7
ScubaBoard Veteran,

Hi, I am Zak's Uncle, best friend and dive buddy of about 100 dives. You seem to be carrying some anger about the reporting of this terrible event.
I can tell you that zak allways did the safest thing he could when doing a dive. We must also understand that his dive buddy on this dive had to make some VERY hard choices when he went to help Zak. My heart goes out to him, and I thank him for bringing my family and buddy back. You and I both know that there will be many people that do not understand the dive industry. (there are no lines on tanks and you don't deflate the BCD )I ask you to just let the stupid stuff go and know in your heart and mind that we will get out the correct information.
This is not a half hour TV program.... The investagation will take time, it is well underway. Thank you for your thoughts and take care UN (uncle Norm)
I have to second Norm's comment - I only had the pleasure of diving with Zak for a few dives while training under him, and he was what I considered an extremely well trained, very safe and careful diver. Zak, as well as the other folks at Pro Dive imparted a tremendous amount of wisdom to me in a short period of time, and I trust that those folks are doing everything in their power to get to the bottom of this very unfortunate incident, and that details will come with time. Theres no doubt in my mind that Zak would want others to learn from this incident, if there is indeed anything to learn, but I believe he would want real facts, and not speculation to come forward.

...Just my opinion...

Yes, Zak would want the real facts to come forward. His legacy is of truth, passion, and a life of diving.

Scuba UN:
caveseeker7
ScubaBoard Veteran,

Norm.. Thanks for the post. It is impossible to convey the depth of sorrow this event has brought to me. That being the case for me, I cannot comprehend how it has effected you, his parents and Robyn.... For some reason I suddenly find myself at a loss for words... There is just too much I'd like to say.. though it would still not tell it right.
I wish all of you peace through these unimaginalbly hard times..

Scuba UN
New Member,

my condolences to the loss of your nephew and dive buddy.

I harbor no anger, rather frustration due to the lack of information that is usually available, especially in incidents involving rebreathers. With some diving solo, and others lost at sea, there is frequently no cause for the accident available at all. Sometimes witness accounts from the dive buddy, crew or fellow divers. Hardly ever the results of any investigation by the authorities, especially in the US.

All of which I find very frustrating, as I believe there is something if not much to be learned, and someone sooner or later may experience the same problems. Maybe the grief of a life lost can be spared for another family, another group of friends.

Thanks for replying to the thread, it cannot be easy.

Stefan

I share your frustration of the lack of information available at this time. I am deep water trained by Zak and I too have my questions of the accident. I do not dive using RB but still have questions of my own. I understand the RB divers could use some of the data on unit to help in their diving and understand some of the possible issues that he may have had. The answers will come. I know that BAD information could be worse than NO info. I will tell you that from what we know he did not suffer The family knows and understands he was doing what he loved to do. As many of you have seen and heard that Zak was a person of no boundries. He would give any amout of time it would take to make it so that person had what it was they were in need of. And then after all that, would come the smile that would make everything OK.

Ladys and gents, boys and girls and children of all ages. Do what ever type of diving you do, Solo, RB, Tri-mix, rec, cave ect.ect.. With all the passion you have, but do it the safest way you were trained, THAT would be the way your loved ones want you to dive.

Thank you all so much for your understanding and wonderful thoughts. UN

Scuba UN - I'm with Stefan in expressing my sorrow over this tragedy, and my thoughts for Robyn and for Zak's "blood" family. Zak was here for some 18 months and made many friends, as of course did Robyn when she arrived, and my anxiety to know what happened is for the same very positive reasons that are driving Stefan.

I wanted to contact Robyn directly to express the condolences of myself and everyone Zak worked with while he was here, but I had no means. Please tell her how sorry all their friends here in San Pedro are at her loss.

Hello all,
I wanted to share a story with you all before some of you forget that infectious smile Zak had. This will have you on the floor if you picture Zak telling the story.
Let me lay some foundation first, After Robyn finished her Masters the two of them went and traveled all over Europe for many months. During their trip of course Zak needs his dive fix when ever he could. So with that he had to dive and see WWII stuff. Now I'll let him tell it.

Hello Everyone!

Are you ready? Every bit of this story is true. I added no pepper, it needs none! This is by far my most wild story and personal growth experience I have ever had while diving. I feel (after the fact) that every scuba instructor or divemaster needs to have an experience that reminds them how it feels to be the "inexperinced" and have their comfort zone pushed to the brink so they can apreaceat what most new scuba students feel. Here is my story of survival. :)

I want to give you a little more physical detail about my dive guide for a better understanding of my experince.

My dive guide's name is Gerhard. He is a 6'4" Austrain, dressed in traditional Austrain clothing (Like the men in the movie Heidi ) pushing every bit of 300 pounds and ALL muscle. Hard to judge age, but late fifties at least. If he chooses to speak, he can only say a few words in English. His brother-in-law spoke English and told me a little about his diving experince: commercial diver and treasure hunter for 30 years. He has a look of a 19th century Austrian mountain climber and a 1960s commercial diver.

We met at 10am at a cafe on a rare rainy morning. We drive to what I think is going to be his dive shop. When we arrive, it was not what most of us would picture as a traditional "dive shop" it's a 100 + year old water front building with lots of personality. All wood and stone. I have yet to pass judgement...I'm more of less wondering if we are going to fill out any liability releases or if he is even going to check my C-Card. NOT!

He leads me inside and I found Heaven! There was more diving equipment in this place than one could imagine! Rebreathers! 4 scooters! Underwater Exposives! UW metal detectors, compressors, and a lot more! Most of all, and very important for you to know later in the story are UW Lights! The Europeans have always had far better lights than we can buy in the US! They burn brighter, longer, and much smaller, all rechargable, and very cool looking! He has dozens! AND ONLY ONE WAS CHARGED! After he grabed a bunch of gear for me, none of which I was able to test or try on before leaving to the dive site. He said, "One light...together dive...OK." That was the first and only thing he had said to me before we were in the water!

We go to the dive site. Nothing odd. A trail along the side of the road leading to the water. I have been told the VIS is 5 to 10 Meters, not bad. One light will suck, as long as I can use it and he followed, no big deal. I put my gear on. This is the begininng of the learning lesson. The gear didn't fit. The two peice 7mm suit and BCD were both a size too small and the weight belt was about 8 pounds too much. I got into it fine and told myself, "it'll be better UW". The reg looked fine, not old. MK20 first stage but some "weird" second stage. No computer. The longest, stiffest fins I have ever seen, and a WalMart mask at best. I am still just happy to be there and looking forward to the unknown.

We get to the water. Everthing is OK. But he has the light. He said a couple of things and used some hand gestures that lead me to believe that he was going to hand me the light when we got to the "spot" underwater. Cool. We get underwater. VIS is about 15' , but then we pass into it...the worst VIS amaginable at 20'. I am not more than a foot away from him and then the exciting happens. He grabs my tank valve and heads down a wall at a million feet per second. I don't even believe what is happening, I almost giggled (feeling like a newby all over again) until my reg turns into the hardest breathing reg in the world. There was something deadly wrong with the second stage that would not let me crack the seat. Every breath took all that I had! This is all going to happen simultaneously: He is pullinng me down by my tank valve...I can't get a full breath at all, my BCD is so tight that I can't put the sufficient amount of air into it to stay neutral (even if I! w! anted to) and still breath, the tightness of the suit was starting to cause my breathing to be labored (what seemed fine on the surface started to wear on me), the mask was leaking to a point that I couldn't clear it fast enough and trying to manage the BCD and get this guy off me (which is why I discribed him above...he was a monster...there was no getting him to let me go!), the VIS was ZERO! Again...he was pulling me down so fast I couldn't equalize my ears fast enough either! This all happend at the very, very start of the dive of course! Don't misunderstand...I was far from cool, my heart was pumping out of my chest and I was battleing the primal urge to BOLT! I made contact with my weight belt and just hoped it wouldn't come to ditching. I couldn't signal him either, he was behind and in front of me. I must of looked like a school boy being drug to the principal's office by the ear (imagine that position).

NOTE: I set my Citizen watch to dive mode (thankfully) before we went down.

When he stoped pulling and I finally got most of everything under control ("Stop Breath Think Act" WORKS!!) The last time I had looked at my gauges was just before he took me down the wall, 20'. I looked (it was very hard, I had to put the gauge to my mask and try to focus my eyes) at my gauges and my depth gauge read 40 (+-) METERS!!!!! I couldn't beleive it! I had to do the math twice! I didn't want to believe it! I looked at me watch and it read 155 feet!!! Holy ****! I couldn't believe it!

Now we're at 155 feet and he is still holding onto me and the light. By this time I don't care about the light...I WANT HIM OFF! I turned as far around as possible and pushed him, it was hard not to be rude, but I grabed his arm and pulled it off of me with all my might. I'm sure he thought I was going to bolt. He let go of me and and I started up slowly, hand over hand up the wall. When we got to about 130, I had relaxed a little, the reg was still pulling very hard, but I told my self to try to see something on this dive, which I paid for (that was very hard). I turned to him and pointed to his light. Instead of taking the clip off of his BCD (he had a coil lanyard), her just handed me the light. Now once again we are attached, not as bad as a few minutes earlier. Your are probaly asking yourself..."Did Zak get to see any WWII stuff?" A little. The story is better than the stuff I saw. There were a couple of 50 cal. guns off of a tank that was located much deeper.&! nb! sp;But that's it. I kinda wanted to be out of the water.

I did do a saftey stop at 20 and 15 feet. During the stop I reflected, evaluated, and laughed at what just happened. It wan't funny at all, but what else can you do?

During the walk back to the car he started to talk to me, very odd after a couple of hours of silence. He said "Beautiful Diver, Beautiful Diver." I couldn't believe it. I laughed and said thanks.

He later told me, though a translater, that I was the best American he had ever taken diving, all others panic and go to surface quickly... My response in my head was "NO ****!!??"

Everything worked out well. Another expeirence to add to the box.

After the dive......

I want to finsh by saying that he is a very nice guy, a good diver, but just doesn't have much training in dive leadership. When we got back to his place we sat down and drank coffee for the next two hours talking (as much as we could through a limited vocab and hand signals) about all that he has done.

At the end of WWII, when the far out Nazi camps around Austria learned that the Allies/Soviets had surounded Berlin, the Nazi camps (which almost all of them were SS camps) started dumping everything they had into the lakes that they were stationed on. Tanks, trucks, documents, everything.

Almost all of the upper ranks of the SS had summer homes on the these very same lakes. When they had gotten the same news, they ordered the dumping of their tons of personal GOLD (They were paid with gold bars taken from the Soviets, Jews, Polish,and many others) into the lake thinking they would come back later to get it. Of course they never did and the gold is still out there. Gerhard has recovered tons of artifacts, from still folded uniforms (in perfect condition) and SS rings that the solders got when they graduated. Because the SS were the ones in charge of the concentration & works camps, they knew they would be the ones charged for war crimes and crimes against humanity, so they dumped everything would connect them to that Nazi group.

Because of the lack of oxygen and light, and the temprature of the lake, lots of what he found and still finds is very well preserved. He showed me his personal collection of Nazi artifacts that were abosutly amazing,scary, and priceless. He has researched and found the locations of SS camps all through Austria that were on lakes and has been diving them for 30 years. I could go on and on about the stacks of stuff he has and the bars of gold! No kidding! He has Nazi gold bars! He has found three bars, still has them, and I saw them. He is still looking for more of course. A couple of months ago he was diving with CNN in this one lake that he was sure there was more gold, he dove for three weeks and found zero. But still, if you could only see what he has, it's amazing!!

Well, thanks for reading. I hope you'er all doing well.

Zak

Scuba UN:
Hello all,
I wanted to share a story with you all before some of you forget that infectious smile Zak had. This will have you on the floor if you picture Zak telling the story.
Let me lay some foundation first, After Robyn finished her Masters the two of them went and traveled all over Europe for many months. During their trip of course Zak needs his dive fix when ever he could. So with that he had to dive and see WWII stuff. Now I'll let him tell it.

Too funny.. As I read the story, I could see Zak telling it to me. I laughed way too hard.... and then I wiped a tear.. Though I don't know how to explain it it is a good thing, and somehow it lifted my heart.

Thanks Norm..

Excellent story..... Thank you so much for sharing it here with us.

I'm so glad you mentioned Zak's dive buddy too Uncle Norm. I saw him shortly after the accident and even though he was wearing a brave face for all of us, I could see saddness in everything he did. He adored Zak.. Often giving in to the smile Zak was famous for flashing when Zak would run over his time in class.

Anyone who has ever attened classes at Pro Dive knows that it's one big giant family. Their always ....ALWAYS there for each other, for the students, and even for us post grads that need a little more hand holding.

I guess because I've seen this (and felt this) first handed ,I must stand convicted to make sure no rumors fly around here or any where else I might be able to voice my feelings. I didn't know Zak even half as long as most of you, but the very short time I did certainly, made a very lasting impression on me (and not just because he gave me..... *ooops I mean, I earned * a low score on a particular skill), which filters to my students, which filters down through their dive buddies, and so on...

I will patiently wait to read the outcome of the investigation, and continue to read all these amazing posts being shared with us by everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom