z240 strobe and advanced cancel circuit switch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am reading my manual and it is all giberish to me. I have a z240 strobe, nikpon p5100 camera with fiber optic connection in manual mode. Do I push the advanced cancel circuit swith down or leave it up? I have read the manual 5 times and cannot seem to see where it addresses this.

You need to set it for the mode your camera is operating in. I am not familiar with Nikon P&S as much as Canon but I imagine they are similar. Usually in manual mode the camera does not preflash and in some auto modes the camera does not preflash (if set as such in the menu--strobe selected to manual). You must set your strobe to either expect or not expect a preflash from the camera.

The Z240/D2000 in sTTL mode over rides whatever position is set on the ACC. This allows simulated TTL when the camera is set in P or A with the strobe set to sTTL.

It really is not complicated, you match the strobe operation to the camera mode. With the strobe in manual, or External Auto the ACC switch is active and you will have to set it to match the preflash/no preflash circumstance of your camera. The Z240 has a switch, the D2000 uses a magnetic switch instead for the same purpose.

N

It's very simple,

Just try it at home on both settings (up and down) with the strobe on manual mode. When you have it correct, rotating the upper right dial (manual settings) a taking a few photos will give very different exposures at the different settings.

Congrats, the Inon Z240 is one of my favorite strobes.

Andy, thanks for the link, I think it answers my question. No preflash on the nikon p5100. I dove with it today at the quarry, but had some other issues with fiber optic cable, need to secure it better so I did not get really get to use. I am assuming I push the button in on manual (correct me if I am wrong). No off to see if it works in Florida.

So I did a test in the mirror - left the switch up and from the low end to the high end I could see a difference in flash intesity in the images. Push the switch down, on the low end the strobe fired, strobe on full power - strobe did not fire (not sure why), but I am thinking from this test to leave the button up,

ok so i have a G10 that does not fire a pre-flash when you have it in manual mode and also a Inon D2000

just for all the people like me out there that need it spelled out to them.. can someone answer these questions for me. :wink:

1)
So when you are in modes (on the strobe ) STTL , STTL Low it does not matter what setting (magnet in or out) you have on the ACC (Advanced Cancel Circuit) it will expect a pre flash correct.?

2)
The magnet in or out will only affect the flash when you have the strobe in manual and auto settings correct?

3) so on the same dive with the magnet in I could do the following and correct flash exposure would work every time.
Shoot in modes (on the camera ) Tv, Av and P I use STTL on the strobe.
Shoot in Manual (on the camera) I turn the strobe to manual also.

Thanks
Chris

Back
Top Bottom