Z-system advantages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a reasonable conversation, with questions being asked and answered, and points being exchanged.
Then the conversation was over, and presumably everybody went diving.

Pretty cool stuff.

Or there was a little bit of decent conversation surrounded by a lot of fan boys pushing their opinion

Vs:

The basic skills drills above are fairly similar and cover the "idiosyncrasies" of each sidemount system.

One advantage of the Z-system is that there is no need to "de-tune" the adjustment knob upon swapping bottom gas regs, because UTD Z-system doesn't swap regs to balance bottom gas remaining between left & right cylinders -->balancing is achieved by alternating Tank Valve On/Off between the two cylinders. (Also easier to turn on & off tank valves vs swapping regs, while remaining on trigger controlling a DPV/Scooter).

Or there was a little bit of decent conversation surrounded by a lot of fan boys pushing their opinion

I wouldn't say that, based on what I saw in the initial string, large and by. I think it's reasonable enough to have formed an opinion and ask questions to challenge it compared to other views, and in fairness, the language in the debate was sobering; there were no outrageous, overdramatic claims and a reasonable level of mutual respect. To be fair, diving as a whole can in some regards be considered a niche on it's own, not to mention sidemount diving and much less rebreather diving.

It's about preference and underlaying reason. I don't see a problem in having an exchange on that basis.

Personally, I prefer the Z-system to my backmounted doubles and/or indie singles.

For me, it has value that I can use the same rig for single tank and multiple tanks in the recreational and technical domain, easily scaling it as needed. It takes me 3 seconds to go no-mount when I need or want to, and I can add a rebreather on that same platform.
Imparatively, because it's integratable with fellow divers on backmount in that everybody has the same harness, the same end point hose configuration and donation.

Gas logistically, I've compared my backmounted doubles to my Z system rig and calculated my way through every scenario I could conceive, and found that there is not a single one that I could reasonably conjure where I'd be in trouble for using Z system over my backmounted rig - instead, a few where I'd gain rather significant benefits.

Logistically, I have experienced a range of benefits to the Z system when travelling by both sea, air and land, across regions.

Regardless of my choices and the next diver's choices, I think the core has to be the why of things.

Last edited:
Gas logistically, I've compared my backmounted doubles to my Z system rig and calculated my way through every scenario I could conceive, and found that there is not a single one that I could reasonably conjure where I'd be in trouble for using Z system over my backmounted rig - instead, a few where I'd gain rather significant benefits.

Ever considered what happens when a DIN o-ring blows? Or the reg giving up (which happens, not often, but happens)?

Ever considered what happens when a DIN o-ring blows? Or the reg giving up (which happens, not often, but happens)?
Yes, it's part of the Nine Failures Problem Solving & Procedural Drill.

Short Summary:
If it's a non-fixable leak at the DIN 1st Stage right or left tank side, then shut down the tank valve and disconnect the QC6 feed from that unfixable side. If there are no additional safety stage cylinders to access, you are now reduced to single tank sidemount. Mandatory dive abort per team protocol.

The advantage of the Z-system in this scenario is that although you are relegated now to single cylinder supply, you still retain Long Hose, Bungee'd Back-up Reg and LP Inflator (wing and drysuit) functionality through the Z-Isofold Manifold.
____

If it's a non-fixable leak/free-flow/malfunction at the 2nd Stage, then remain isolated via the Z-Isofold. Depending on which 2nd Stage Reg is unfixable, stay on or switch to the working functional Reg (Long Hose or Back-up respectively).

The advantage of the Z-system in this case is that although you are reduced to single QC6 gas feed with an isolated Z-Isofold, you can still have separate and alternating as needed, plug-in QC6 access via that single feed to both Left & Right gas cylinders. As necessary, abort the dive per team protocol.

Absolutely.
I'll be happy to discuss the specifics of how a 1.-stage or 2.-stage failure impacts gas logistics in a tentative scenario of your choosing?

Short Summary:
If it's a non-fixable leak at the DIN 1st Stage right or left tank side, then shut down the tank valve and disconnect the QC6 feed from that unfixable side. If there are no additional safety stage cylinders to access, you are now reduced to single tank sidemount. Mandatory dive abort per team protocol.

The advantage of the Z-system in this scenario is that although you are relegated now to single cylinder supply, you still retain Long Hose, Bungee'd Back-up Reg and LP Inflator (wing and drysuit) functionality through the Z-Isofold Manifold.

I don't see that as an advantage over a manifolded twinset though... I prefer having gas to breathe over having gas to inflate my wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom